Respiratory infection? Sneezing & wheezing.

TheBeardie

Crowing
8 Years
Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Sometime in Nov or Dec I noticed my rooster had some missing feathers right above his eye I didn't think it was particularly swollen since I didn't really a a reference to how that area is supposed to look. It is a little swollen from what I can tell of the other side of his face. Otherwise no symptoms from any of the flock. It's been a little chilly since yesterday, so I think that's what set off the sickness.

Tonight I went out to feed and shut the doors. I heard a loud sneeze/cough from the rooster. Next I hear this. Then one of my older girls has weird rasp on her breathing. I assume there's more since everyone was mostly settled for the night and didn't get set off when I came in the coop.

No eye gunk or foaming from what I can see, mostly plump and red comb/wattle except for the hens that aren't laying again yet, no weird smells, poops look normal, no new chickens in the last year and I never noticed anything off about any of the flock when they got let out this morning.

My best guess is some kind of respiratory infection. Any suggested action? A antibiotic or some other kind of medication?

Last edited:
That sound is mild stridor, a sound they can make when a small piece of feed gets stuck in the throat that is partially blocking the airway. It usually goes away in a few hours. If it doesn’t, and you also hear chirping or sneezing, it may be a respiratory disease. If you have pictures of the rooster’s eye it might help.

That sound is mild stridor, a sound they can make when a small piece of feed gets stuck in the throat that is partially blocking the airway. It usually goes away in a few hours. If it doesn’t, and you also hear chirping or sneezing, it may be a respiratory disease. If you have pictures of the rooster’s eye it might help.
She's not making that particular sound this morning but quite a few of the flock are wheezing, honking and generally sounding like trash. He's the only one with swelling. It was very minor swelling just above his eye until I checked him this morning. His face is completely swollen on just that side.

He's acting completely normal other than not being able to see out of that eye. And the breathing problem. Everyone's acting pretty normal other than the respiratory issues.

I think I'm going to grab some tylan 50. I've had to use it before and I'm fairly confident that it'll at least help with his swelling and any other secondary infections. Or is there something else I should be doing?

It could be coryza if there is a bad odor, or MG if no bad odor. I would use saline or eye wash to clean and flush is eye. Try to gently express any pus from around the eye. Then apply some Terramycin eye ointment (from feed store) into his eye 2-3 times a day after cleaning with saline. Tylan 50 dosage is 0.25 ml per pound given orally 3 times a day for 5 days. If you have seen this before, then may know that MG or coryza are chronic (lifelong) diseases. The whole flock are carriers. Close your flock to contain any spread.

It could be coryza if there is a bad odor, or MG if no bad odor. I would use saline or eye wash to clean and flush is eye. Try to gently express any pus from around the eye. Then apply some Terramycin eye ointment (from feed store) into his eye 2-3 times a day after cleaning with saline. Tylan 50 dosage is 0.25 ml per pound given orally 3 times a day for 5 days. If you have seen this before, then may know that MG or coryza are chronic (lifelong) diseases. The whole flock are carriers. Close your flock to contain any spread.
X2. Also add nutri drench to their water five days on, five days off. Or rooster booster. I've also used eucalyptus and peppermint essential oil to treat my hens when they were sick last year. Drizzle on their bedding at night. And I also put vetericyn on their wattles, combs and under their beaks and under their wings.

Make sure they're eating, I almost lost one of mine 😢.

Back
Top Bottom