Respiratory infection?

Sarahandherflock

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2021
Canada
Hi there, I just found one of my hens in the corner of our coop with her mouth open, eyes bubbly, and struggling to breathe. We’re dealing with canker right now but I’m wondering if this could be fowl pox or a respiratory infection because her eyes have chunks of yellow on them too. I’m not experienced with any of those (or could it be something else?) so if anyone has any suggestions on what to do that would be very helpful. The hens mouth seems to be stuck open. I looked in her mouth and there’s a few spots but nothing that seems to be preventing her from breathing so
I’m afraid that there’s something further down. We have another hen with similar symptoms so
I think it is contagious and I would like to prevent the rest of the the flock from getting it too. I’ve read that copper sulphate can help with fowl pox but we don’t have any. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• E713CF6B-D61D-4CB6-9328-E744EA9482C1.jpeg
    E713CF6B-D61D-4CB6-9328-E744EA9482C1.jpeg
    415.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 0ECA4D40-E3B2-4969-BB8E-2472AB120EA5.jpeg
    0ECA4D40-E3B2-4969-BB8E-2472AB120EA5.jpeg
    551 KB · Views: 8
  • 211270A8-BDC2-43F2-BFC0-4AEF27651DB2.jpeg
    211270A8-BDC2-43F2-BFC0-4AEF27651DB2.jpeg
    356.7 KB · Views: 10
  • BF5400EF-29F8-4E2D-A1B6-CC4D0137E116.jpeg
    BF5400EF-29F8-4E2D-A1B6-CC4D0137E116.jpeg
    394.7 KB · Views: 10
Hi there, I just found one of my hens in the corner of our coop with her mouth open, eyes bubbly, and struggling to breathe. We’re dealing with canker right now but I’m wondering if this could be fowl pox or a respiratory infection because her eyes have chunks of yellow on them too. I’m not experienced with any of those (or could it be something else?) so if anyone has any suggestions on what to do that would be very helpful. The hens mouth seems to be stuck open. I looked in her mouth and there’s a few spots but nothing that seems to be preventing her from breathing so
I’m afraid that there’s something further down. We have another hen with similar symptoms so
I think it is contagious and I would like to prevent the rest of the the flock from getting it too. I’ve read that copper sulphate can help with fowl pox but we don’t have any. Thanks for your help.
You are dealing with canker? What are you treating her with?

You are in Canada, so may need to see vet care so you can get mediciations.

She may have secondary infection from the canker or it may be respiratory disease in addition to canker? Is there a bad odor?

Flush her eyes with saline, remove the crusts/bubbles and pus. Put an eye ointment in the eyes.

You are dealing with canker? What are you treating her with?

You are in Canada, so may need to see vet care so you can get mediciations.

She may have secondary infection from the canker or it may be respiratory disease in addition to canker? Is there a bad odor?

Flush her eyes with saline, remove the crusts/bubbles and pus. Put an eye ointment in the eyes.
We are treating her with fish zole.

Yes the plan is to take her to a vet asap.

I'm thinking that it is both canker and a respiratory infection. There is a slight oder.

That's what we have been doing. Sadly 5 more roosters have it now so they are all separated in a pen from the rest of the flock with lots of food and water. We're flushing their eyes often and making sure they're getting enough food and water till we get them to a vet. This is very stressful. :(

We are treating her with fish zole.

Yes the plan is to take her to a vet asap.

I'm thinking that it is both canker and a respiratory infection. There is a slight oder.

That's what we have been doing. Sadly 5 more roosters have it now so they are all separated in a pen from the rest of the flock with lots of food and water. We're flushing their eyes often and making sure they're getting enough food and water till we get them to a vet. This is very stressful. :(
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom