Respiratory sounds- first time hearing this

Mhornyak

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2022
Original thought 2 days ago was dry fowl pox with the eye and wattle spots. Now I'm thinking respiratory. Her other eye is watery. No coughing, sneezing or nasal discharge, but she's making a lot of noise breathing. No mouth lesions that i can see.
I'll attach photo and video from this morning. I have started tube hydration with electrolytes and enrofloxacin. All the other hens are fine.
Any other thoughts/ suggestions? @azygous @casportpony

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20240301_183643.jpg
    20240301_183643.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 20240303_092619.jpg
    20240303_092619.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Are there mosquitoes out now where you live? What is your location? The swelling in the face could be due to pecking or a respiratory disease such as MG. Tylosin powder in the water can treat symptoms of MG. Jedds.com sells Tylosin online.

@Eggcessive , yes we have mosquitos out. I was worried about MG too. I've never heard breathing like this :(
I've also started using some vetrx to her nostrils

Well, I would use Terramycin ointment in her eyes. Mycoplasma is opportunistic in chickens, and can be a secondary infection in fowl pox. Tylosin powder in the water can treat symptoms of MG. I get that from Jedds.com. But pox symptoms can last a month give or take a week. Vet Rx is herbal oils (rosemary, oregano,) pineoil , alcohol and camphor, so nothing will treat viruses or bacteria. Let us know how she gets along.

Thank you. I'm waiting on the tylosin to come in.. for now we are doing tube feedings with enrofloxacin.
She's not making the sounds today, hopefully that is good news. I'll keep you posted

If you are treating her with enrofloxacin, she won’t need Tylosin. It is a powerful antibiotic similar to Cipro used in humans. How much are you giving and for how long? If using the 10% liquid, dosage is 0.25 ml twice a day for 5 days. Some may use a little higher dosage.

Will she not eat on her own? Just wondering why you are doing tube feeding.

If you are treating her with enrofloxacin, she won’t need Tylosin. It is a powerful antibiotic similar to Cipro used in humans. How much are you giving and for how long? If using the 10% liquid, dosage is 0.25 ml twice a day for 5 days. Some may use a little higher dosage.

Will she not eat on her own? Just wondering why you are doing tube feeding.
She has not been eating or drinking on her own once the respiratory noises had started. I'm hoping she will want to eat/ drink on her own, soon.
I have a 10%respiratory solution with enro, instructions say to use 0.3ml once a day for 10 days, so that's what I had been doing.

Should I switch to the 0.25ml twice a day, then?

Thanks for all your help!

She has not been eating or drinking on her own once the respiratory noises had started. I'm hoping she will want to eat/ drink on her own, soon.
I have a 10%respiratory solution with enro, instructions say to use 0.3ml once a day for 10 days, so that's what I had been doing.

Should I switch to the 0.25ml twice a day, then?

Thanks for all your help!
What is her weight in kilograms? If it is 3 Kg, then I would go ahead and give the 0.3 ml twice a day for 5 days. Dosage can vary between 5, 10, or 15 mg per kilogram. Here is a post about dosage by casportpony:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...in-for-a-4lb-hen.1240572/page-2#post-19918452

Good morning. Her breathing is a little better, but not seeing any improvement with the eye. I'm attaching a pic from this am. I'm not sure if these white spots showing up around her eye are new pox forming.
I'm still using the terramycin ointment around her eye.

Attachments

• 20240305_105744.jpg
    20240305_105744.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom