Respiratory sounds- first time hearing this

Enrofloxacin is probably the most effective antibiotic to use for MG, reproductive disorders, etc. Viruses, including fowl pox will not respond to any antibiotic. I would finish the course. Be aggressive treating the eye at least twice a day with flushing with saline, and applying Terramycin.
She's opening her eye a little more today. Still not interested in eating or drinking on her own... but I feel like she's slowly improving.
Thank you for the info! I'll keep y'all posted

I tried the tuna, but she wasn't interested. I put her in a small covered, contained area and she really perked up being outside for 2 hours (away from the flock but still in audible range) . She pecked a little at the feed, which I saw as a good sign. Hopefully tomorrow is even better.

Have you seen any others with fowl pox scabs yet? It sounds like she might do better in a dog crate with food and water near the others.

Have you seen any others with fowl pox scabs yet? It sounds like she might do better in a dog crate with food and water near the others.
We've had a couple waves of it in the flock, but I don't see any on the others currently. If it's MG, is she OK to be around the others in the crate?

Better news today! She's using her eye.. she's been eating some, and she pooped solid today!
I've had her within eyesight of the flock, but she still has the watery eye and I wasn't sure how long I should keep her separated. She has one more day of enro treatment. When do you think it's ok to have her nearer the flock?

Don't mind the powder in the photo- she spilled her food and that's food powder 😋

Attachments

• 20240307_161535.jpg
    20240307_161535.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 5
If she has MG, they have all been exposed anyway the same way she was. I usually do not separate chickens from their flock, due to it upsetting them and changing the pecking order. It can make it harder to bring them back into the flock, the longer they are out

If she has MG, they have all been exposed anyway the same way she was. I usually do not separate chickens from their flock, due to it upsetting them and changing the pecking order. It can make it harder to bring them back into the flock, the longer they are out
Thank you! We have an area we can put her closer to the others, but still protected until her eye is healed up

Update... she finished course of enrofloxacin on Friday and started getting worse.. sneezing and coughing and not eating or drinking. It seems like she developed chicken equivalent of pneumonia. She had pretty severe respiratory distress.

Saturday am, started with denagard 1ml twice daily via syringe, along with tube feeds. @Climbingalbatross that is what you give? My research is showing 25mg/kg, which for my hen would be about 0.5ml

It seems like she may finally be getting a little better, or at least she has not gotten worse (I really thought she wouldn't make it the past 2 nights).

I've read that tetracycline synergizes with denagard. Should I add doxycycline to the mix?
Thanks for the input. She has really been a fighter ❤️

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom