Respiratory Infection

@casportpony They've been on tylan now for 3 days. The powder came in, but I am wondering if I should just hold off and continue dosing individually. So far, everyone seems to be doing well and I do not want to mess that up. However, it would be much easier to just put tylan in the water.

If I were to do tylan in the water, would I change the water throughout the day? They would have to have one water source only, but I don't want them to drink dirty water in the afternoon. I am also concerned about the ducks not having their pool, as well. I'm worried about the chickens not getting enough and the ducks getting too much. Could they overdose themselves?

I understand I am supposed to continue past resolution of symptoms, but the only true "symptoms" are occasional sneezing and foamy eyes when I press on their sinuses. Should I just stop antibiotics once the bubbles from the eyes stop?

This thread was super helpful for me, I appreciate all the information provided and hope your birds are okay! I’m currently dealing with a mystery respiratory illness in a couple new hens I bought, and had to use injectable Tylan for the first time. It was very stressful! Reading thru this thread has helped a ton in my own journey to avoid vet bills! I would think that if you have done the injectable Tylan 2x a day for 3 days and there are still nose bubbles that you will want to keep doing it that way so you can ensure they’re getting enough of the meds to fully kill things, but casportpony definitely knows better than I do! Good luck!

This thread was super helpful for me, I appreciate all the information provided and hope your birds are okay! I’m currently dealing with a mystery respiratory illness in a couple new hens I bought, and had to use injectable Tylan for the first time. It was very stressful! Reading thru this thread has helped a ton in my own journey to avoid vet bills! I would think that if you have done the injectable Tylan 2x a day for 3 days and there are still nose bubbles that you will want to keep doing it that way so you can ensure they’re getting enough of the meds to fully kill things, but casportpony definitely knows better than I do! Good luck!
I'm glad it was helpful! I have been continuing with individual dosages and things are going well. Everyone is much better and I only have a few that are still having the discharge, so we're headed in the right direction.

I'm glad it was helpful! I have been continuing with individual dosages and things are going well. Everyone is much better and I only have a few that are still having the discharge, so we're headed in the right direction.
I’m so glad! I took mine to the vet today and she put them on Enrofloxacin. Hoping to be headed in the same direction soon too!

@casportpony Update: We've been doing tylan and were told by the vet to do so for 3 weeks. The 3 week mark will be on Monday. Overall, they're doing well. I still have one drake who is sneezing and he and a few others have foamy discharge from their eyes when I press on their sinuses. Should I still stop the tylan on Monday and see what happens, or should I start them on another antibiotic? The vet obviously won't prescribe anything without seeing them, but has said that if my one drake is still sneezing, he may need a different antibiotic. I am going to try increasing his dose slightly, as I think he has grown a bit since we began treatment, but other than that I don't know what else to do. They're also having funky stools, likely due to the long-term antibiotic, so I will likely begin daily probiotics and electrolytes.

Back
Top Bottom