Respiratory Infection

pekincochin12

Songster
Apr 8, 2020
Long story, but I have a Pekin hen who I have been supplementing with B vitamins for quite some time. I’m now thinking there’s something neurologically wrong with her. It doesn’t seem to have helped, and I noticed one other hen picking on her earlier this week, but they seemed to figure it out. Just came home to see her blowing bubbles out of her nares. There is mucus on her bill and the left side of her face is swollen. She was herself this morning. I just gave her VetRx, but I know that isn’t a cure. I don’t have any antibiotics on me, but can run to Tractor Supply first thing in the morning. She is separated now, but I’m obviously also worried about the others getting sick now. Please help! @casportpony @Isaac 0 any suggestions?

Attachments

• E460753C-0579-435C-9F91-23A1FBB67248.jpeg
    E460753C-0579-435C-9F91-23A1FBB67248.jpeg
    418.9 KB · Views: 48
  • AD4DA0E5-2E4F-44F8-A981-9EE4AA425290.jpeg
    AD4DA0E5-2E4F-44F8-A981-9EE4AA425290.jpeg
    402.9 KB · Views: 10
I'm so sorry I just saw your thread. How is she today? I doubt TSC will have much in the way of antibiotics If it's respiratory it could also be sinus with swollen face.

If we can get @Isaac 0 attention he may be better at giving you an idea of what antibiotic would be best to use. Here is a link to where I have bought Baytril. https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Can you post some pictures of her face please?

Last edited:
I'm so sorry I just saw your thread. How is she today? I doubt TSC will have much in the way of antibiotics If it's respiratory it could also be sinus with swollen face.

If we can get @Isaac 0 attention he may be better at giving you an idea of what antibiotic would be best to use. Here is a link to where I have bought Baytril. https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Can you post some pictures of her face please?
There are photos of the swelling posted above. I actually was able to get her into "the" bird vet in my area as an emergency today...I didn't want to wait and have her get worse. The vet agreed that it is a sinus infection and put her on clavamox and metacam. She is separated from the flock and I have been instructed to keep her separated for at least the next 48 hours. I also stripped all the bedding from the coop and scrubbed with a bleach solution (diluted with water) to hopefully prevent any spread, which vet stated was a good idea. She said there's no need to place everyone on an antibiotic at this point, so fingers crossed all stays well. She took a radiograph, too, to check her internally. And as a coincidental finding, it turns out she has an old fracture of her right femur that is already starting to heal itself (photo of radiograph below). She is weight bearing on the leg and gets around just fine, but apparently did a great job hiding it - in fact I was more worried about arthritis in the other leg. The metacam will help, but we may end up adding in gabapentin, too, until it's healed fully. She didn't want to overload her poor system right now. I can now understand why she may have been vulnerable and gotten sick when everyone else is fine. I also went to TS this evening to get her more VetRX, as it does seem to be helping her quite a bit. I also picked up terramycin and vetericyn optic gel in case it starts affecting her eye. I'm assuming either one of those would be fine to use in conjunction with clavamox?

Tomorrow I will be scrubbing out feeders/waterers/pools to be extra safe. I will also likely clean the other coop just to protect the 4 boys in there, as we do walk back and forth between the two coops. I also have electrolytes and poultry cell that I may add to everyone's water to give them a boost. In addition, I put drops of VetRX on everyone in her coop tonight.

For future reference, is there a general guide for which antibiotics are best for which scenario? and general dosing guidelines? I have been researching things so that I can be prepared in case something happens, but have found lots of conflicting information about antibiotics. I am not one to just throw antibiotics out there, as I understand the whole issue of resistance, but it would be nice to have general knowledge of what antibiotic is appropriate for a given situation.

Attachments

• IMG_2737.JPG
    IMG_2737.JPG
    632.6 KB · Views: 9
That's good news. Thanks for keeping us updated.
Can someone please give me tylan injectable (either 50 or 200) dosages, but to give ORALLY? I have a mixed flock (ducks, chickens, and one bantam chicken). One duck was seen about two weeks ago for a sinus infection and now 3 others have symptoms. Vet told me to use tylan, but wouldn’t give me further advice without seeing them all. We have 13 total, and I’m not taking them all in for exams, etc. I can’t find the powder anywhere local without needing a prescription and I’d like to start it ASAP. I can get the injectable at tractor supply (and have heard it can be given orally), but I see conflicting dosages online. Please help! @aart @Eggcessive @casportpony @Miss Lydia

Can someone please give me tylan injectable (either 50 or 200) dosages, but to give ORALLY? I have a mixed flock (ducks, chickens, and one bantam chicken). One duck was seen about two weeks ago for a sinus infection and now 3 others have symptoms. Vet told me to use tylan, but wouldn’t give me further advice without seeing them all. We have 13 total, and I’m not taking them all in for exams, etc. I can’t find the powder anywhere local without needing a prescription and I’d like to start it ASAP. I can get the injectable at tractor supply (and have heard it can be given orally), but I see conflicting dosages online. Please help! @aart @Eggcessive @casportpony @Miss Lydia
How many times a day will you be able to give it?

Back
Top Bottom