Respiratory issue in Hen

I do not use essential oils, but what you are using is the same basic ingredients that are found in Vet RX which I haven’t used either. The difference is VetRX has pine oil, and it is in a corn oil base with a little alcohol. No amounts are given, so I would be careful mixing my own. It is an old remedy, I don’t know if it helps or not, but it seems that many use it. Here is a link with ingredients:
https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=fedd63fb-46fe-47dc-bd2b-d8cacf043c23

It can be common to have a respiratory disease brought in by wild migrating birds. Infectious bronchitis and mycoplasma (MG) are common in many backyard flocks. The main thing is to keep your flock fed a healthy balanced feed, and make sure they have good air circulation inside the coop, keeping dust, ammonia odors, or wet moldy conditions to a minimum. You sound like you are doing that.

For your sick hen, you may want to medicate her with the antibiotic Tylan 50 injectable, give it orally by removing the needle from the syringe. Dosage is 0.3 ml per pound twice a day 12 hours apart for 3-5 days. Tylan is a good treatment for MG. 1 day egg withdrawl after oral treatment. If she has IB, she may remain symptomatic for up to a minth, but it ususally involves frequent sneezing. Eggs may be wrinkle or soft with IB.

Thank you for your response.
She is doing much better she started eating yesterday and even laid her egg.
She is still gurgling but dong much better.
I will cook the eggs, I didn't know. Thank you for that tip.
I haven't heard of Nutri Drench but will also get that.
I have another Hen who now has a runny swollen eye and a bit easily sounding.
So far the smaller birds all seem fine and are healthy.
My flock is very small just 3 laying hens at this time, I rotate them in and out to keep us in eggs. The older ones are 1.5 years, next are 3 months and then 1 week. The babies are in the garage brooder until I can get this under control. The 3 month olds are confined in a dog pen away from the older layers. Lots of rain here in SO FL lately not sure that's helping.
What do you suggest I do to clean my coop? Thanks so much!

So glad your hen is doing better - that's a good sign when they make a quick recovery! As far as cleaning, spraying down with a diluted bleach solution may be all you need. I'd suggest doing a quick google search on respiratory diseases and seeing what clean up is recommended. As someone else said, lots of times it can be introduced by wild birds around the flock, but disinfecting the coop is always a good step to take. :)

Whatever you use, air the coop out for a long time after disinfecting. If even the slightest trace of bleach smell remains anywhere (check close to the floor), do not put them back. Stick some fans in there to air it out more quickly, and don't let them in until it's all aired out.

Supportive care is really your best bet. Without knowing if it's viral, bacterial, or fungal then treating is a shot in the dark.
Unfortunately many respiratory diseases are viral which makes them impossible to eradicate from your flock with culling the sick birds. Once "healthy" they'll still be carriers. You'll have to become a closed flock and birds will never leave your property. You'll have to practice very good biosecurity when visiting other properties with chickens as well, disinfecting clothes, shoes, etc.

This is where I'm at right now. I've got three pullets that are pets. I just picked up two older speckled sussex pullets from a friend of a friend. It was starting to get dark when I picked them up and didn't notice anything when I quickly inspected them. I always quarantine when I get new birds. They sneezed a couple times the first night, the second day I noticed that they had clear runny noses and are still sneezing. Otherwise they're eating and drinking fine. I'm hoping that perhaps it's just the pine shavings, however my three pullets are on the same type of shavings and they're fine. I'll keep them quarantined for awhile. Then I have to decide if I should just cull, or expose my three pullets and become a closed flock. I don't breed, and no one within at least 10 km of me has chickens so that may be my decision.

It is not just viral diseases that can stay around in the flock; bacterial ones do as well. It depends on the disease. Infectious bronchitis virus causes chickens to be carriers for up to a year, so if you do not hatch or add birds for a year after everyone has gotten better, it shouldn’t be a problem again. But MG, coryza ( both from bacteria or mycoplasma, similar to bacteria,) and ILT from a virus, will make all flock members exposed carriers for life.

Update: My hen is happy and healthy and back to her normal behavior. I had another hen also come down with the same symptoms and after treating her with the same protocol as the first they are now both very healthy and back to laying eggs daily. I am so glad I am a hands on chicken momma and caught this quick. I can my coop monthly and every other week clean to the bedding and add fresh. This past weekend we thoroughly cleaned the coop.
Crisis averted!! :)
Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom