Respiratory or gapeworm? HELP!

Abbkayx

Songster
Mar 23, 2018
Hi!

I have had two chickens start doing this (see video)... I haven’t noticed any other symptoms, just this. With weather changes I’m thinking it could be respiratory, or is it gapeworm? Should I treat for both just to be cautious? Thanks in advance!

She looks like she's adjusting her crop. They will do this to help move things along out of the crop, often if they have full crops. It's probably nothing to worry about and normal. Check her crop first thing in the morning before access to food and water and it should be empty. If it is then it's just normal crop adjusting. If the crop still feels full, or very hard, or very soft and squishy then she may have a crop or digestive problem. Image below of a very full crop.
crop3-1024x900.jpg

I agree with Coach723. Do you have granite poultry grit available to help them digest their food? Make sure they have a couple of spots around to get plenty of water. What do you feed?

Thanks! I feed them nature wise organic layer crumble. I have multiple grit “boxes” placed around their coop and when they free range we have a gravel drive way they sometimes pick at lol.

Back
Top Bottom