Respiratory problem or.....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickenhens, Jan 26, 2016.

1. chickenhens

chickenhens New Egg

Jan 26, 2016
    I have a one year old hen who I found about a 2 weeks ago gasping and standing still. I brought her inside my shed and put a heat lamp on her she does not constantly have trouble breathing only when she's stressed her appetite is down Although she will eat a little also her waddle has lost color her throat is hard very hard like it's swollen she doesn't appear to have sour crop I swabbed her for worms no luck there
    I don't know what to do! I've been giving her antibiotics through a syringe we'll see...

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Would you be able to take her to a vet?. Her condition sounds way beyond my rudimentary knowledge. You can also post in full detail at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread.

But it would be impossible for anyone to offer help when you are offline - there is no way you can be contacted.

1 person likes this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC!
    I agree with Drumstick Diva, sounds like a vet may be in order.
    Post your question on "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread, but more details would be needed.
    Pictures, where you are located/what your weather has been, any new members added recently to your flock, any changes in environment(new bedding, feed), any treatments you have given or tried, what type of feed/treats you use, detailed description of symptoms and behavior of illness.

4. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. X2 on vet. Good luck with your girl.

5. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've already been given some good advice so I'll just say hello and I hope your girl is better soon.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by