respiratory rattle

Hi, I have one Isa Brown hen and when we got her, like only a week ago (!!) she had some problems with breathing, she'd, if u listened really hard, wheeze a little. So now, a week after, she's started gurgling, she's lethargic, still wheezing a little, sometimes gasps with her beak open and her feather's are fluffed up, however she's drinking fine and eating a little, she's doesn't really move around a lot. please, please help, first time chicken owner and i have no idea what to do.
thx

Hi,
I have one Isa Brown hen and when we first got her, like a week ago (!!), she was slightly wheezing, if u listened really hard. And now, a week later, she's started gurgling, still wheezing a little, gasping a little and she's lethargic with her feathers fluffed up and she doesn't move much, but she was drinking and eating a little this morning. i put some garlic in her water, hoping that might help. is it respiratory, something to do with digestion? please help, first time chicken owner and i have no idea what to do. what treatments do i give her and such?
thx

Sorry to hear about your little bird. Here are some things to check: massage her crop a little and listen for fluid. If you hear fluid, she may have some sour crop or gizzard issues. If you hear the fluid, report back on that and I'll try to help you.

If you hear no fluid, but she has some rattling or gurgling sounds as she breathes, she may have a bit of liquid in her sinus or she may have a respiratory problem of another kind. I just had a 6-year old Australorp suddenly develop a gurgling. I thought she was dying! Turns out that it was a bit of water in her sinus. The water came out on its own after about 2 hours. I think you have said that your bird has had this for more than a day.

OK. I have used Tylan 50 as an injectible. You can get the Tylan at Tractor Supply or your farm store. It is about $10. (Well, it used to be $10; may be more by now) Anyway, inject 1/4 cc into her breast muscle once per day for 3 days. That may do the trick. I have used it a couple of times on my birds and they have responded well.

Keep me posted if you don't mind. I want to help if I can.

I thought of one more important piece of information...is she pooping? If she is, it shows food is passing through her system and it is not likely a crop or gizzard problem.

What exactly was in the mixture that you gave the hen? How much? How often? I have 1 hen that is wheezing tonight thru an open beak. Would like information on what to do please <3

What was your natural mixture? You mentioned so many things. Can you be helpful and give some ingredients and dosage or the link where you found the natural remedy? Thank you.

Could u tell me what u used to treat your birds? I would give it a try. Mine r very happy chickens but have a gurgle to there breathing. It has been for awhile now. But nothing else is wrong w them and they free rage all day.

I learned that there are various things that could relax the airway: licorice, cayenne pepper, bromelain, coffee, magnesium, anise seed oil, and ACV would help also, I read. I made a mixture of whatever I had available. The next day they were all back to normal. No medications needed, didn't have to discard any eggs, and the symptoms did not recur.

What was the mixture that you ended up making, roughly?

When I went into my coop last night I heard some rattly snoring sounds which I hadn't heard before. This morning, my three Wyandottes have rattly breathing, two hens and a rooster. What would explain this? They don't have any other symptoms so far that I can see. No watery discharge or mucous, their eyes look normal. The one hen has been broody for several weeks and still is, the other hen has been active and just laid an egg and then went outside, and the rooster seems his normal self. Besides the three Wyandottes, I have orpingtons, wheaten marans and easter eggers, none of which are showing any signs or symptoms so far.

Any idea what would explain the sudden onset rattly respirations, and the fact that only the Wyandottes have it (so far)? My chickens are in a clean coop, well ventilated, outside daily unless it's really wet out there. We've had a lot of rain here (we're in BC, Canada), but also a lot of decent days, not too cold, and they have been outside most days. They get clean water regularly, usually with ACV but I had not been adding that lately. I'll start that again, as well as extra vitamins, and will give the three affected chickens colloidal silver. Not sure if I can mix the silver with the ACV in the water, am waiting for a call back from a pharmacy where they deal with veterinary issues and natural approaches. They don't diagnose, however, but will advise once I have an idea what I'm dealing with. So if there is anyone who has some experience with this I'd really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks!
Sounds. Like CRD GIVETHEM a shoot of LA200 Half cc for 3 day strait best thing you can do and treat the rest of the flock with coridmixed in there water

Back
Top Bottom