respiratory rattle

I have one hen who suddenly began making a rasping/honking sound while breathing both in and out. It was very loud in the morning but decreased throughout the day till it was a light rasp while breathing out only. She would occasionally sneeze a loud chirping sound.

She exhibits no signs of illness (no discharge, full energy, eating and drinking well). I took her to a vet who saw no signs of gapeworm. We concluded that she had inhaled something but has since probably gotten rid of it yet her bronchial tubes remain now swollen and irritated.

The night before she began making the sound I changed from a pelleted feed to a powdery mash. I believe it was the change in feed that caused her to inhale a small piece and develop the problem. Just wanted to put this suggestion out there as the OP's description fits my experience very well, especially the effectiveness of the natural brochodialators.

Very, very new to this - actually first time I have posted ANYWHERE! Sorry if I should have started a new one or something. I am a first time chicken owner. I have had my girls for 18 weeks and just purchased more as 2 of the 6 originals turned out to be boys! One of the new girlsI purchased 2 days ago (from a reputable breeder) a Rhode Island Red is rattling when she breathes. She was fine when she arrived at our house and I think she may have breathed in some water, not being used to the container. Today her rattle is worse, but I'm sure she is still eating and drinking and looks fine. The other two girls are great. Any suggestions please.

Noticed one of my Silkies has rattling breathing this morning. Assuming we have an upper respiratory infection. She is eating quite well. Just had an egg with some extra vitamins added. She is remaining a bit aloof. We are going for some tetracycline later unless some one has a better suggestion. Specifically, if we do go for the tetracycline, have you any suggestions on how much and how best to administer the drug? I have 6 girls, all of which are handled fairly easily so I can use a syringe and put liquid meds directly in their beak if that is best. We also have seen Oxine suggested.

Another option instead of tetracycline is Tylan 50. It is available without a prescription and is available at many farm supply stores. A year or so ago, it was $10 for a 100 ml bottle. It is injectible. The dose is .25-.35 cc per day for 3-5 days. The best injection site is the breast muscle. I have used this successfully on two different birds. The one hen was better within one day but I continued for 3 days.

I am confident in my ability to administer meds orally, but not to give an injection. Is there an oral option for Tylan 50, or other oral options for meds to combat an upper respiratory infection?

I am confident in my ability to administer meds orally, but not to give an injection. Is there an oral option for Tylan 50, or other oral options for meds to combat an upper respiratory infection?
For standard size birds you can give 1/2cc orally once a day for 5 days, but no more than 7 days if necessary... 1/4cc orally for smaller birds once a day, same amount of time.
Pull the wattles down and the mouth will open, then squirt the liquid in the mouth. Then quickly release the wattles so the bird can swallow the liquid on her own without aspirating. She may struggle abit before you dose her but will tire, hang on to the wattles and dont let go.

Last edited:
I am not familiar with an oral dosing for Tylan. Giving and injection is actually easier than given orally, imho. If you want to give it a try, ask your pharmacy for insulin syringes with a 27 gauge needle. (They sell them by the pack of 10 and they are very inexpensive.) See if you can get another larger syringe and 18 gauge needle to get the liquid Tylan out of the bottle. (It would be very hard to get the Tylan from the bottle directly into the insulin syringe but if that's all you had to work with, it may work, I don't know.) It takes a very small amount for the injection. Once you have the Tylan in the larger syringe, pull the plunger from the insulin syringe to expose the barrel of the small syringe (this is at the opposite end from the needle and is what pushes the liquid into the needle) and slowly squirt the Tylan from the larger syringe and needle into the insulin syringe barrel until you have 0.25 cc. Put the tip of the plunger of the insulin syringe gently and then turn the syringe upright so the Tylan is running away from the needle. Then, when you push the plunger, you can expel all the air from the syringe. When you have a drop of Tylan coming out of the needle, you are ready to inject. Put the cover back on the needle until you have the bird where you want it, then remove the cover.

If you have someone to hold your bird, it is easier, but if not, just tuck them under your arm, feel for a meaty spot on the breast and insert the needle. It is very small diameter so the bird won't react too much if you're bold with it. Don't just insert the needle into the flesh slowly...one smooth stroke. Technically, you should pull the plunger back slightly once the needle is in the flesh to make certain you're not in a vein but that may not be possible. When I've done this by myself, there is no way to see the syringe when you're holding the bird so I just insert the needle, push the plunger and it's done.

If this isn't clear, please feel free to ask questions. Once you do it once, you'll see how easy it is.

I am new at keeping chickens only been at it since the first of October 2013. I had one of my chickens come down with what I call bubble eye. I put her in quarenteen and looked on line and saw a post suggesting to use the tylon L50 (not sure if spelt right)I did and she got better within the 5 days. I now have purchased a hen last Saturday at an auction. she has raspy breathing seems to be eating well & drinking poop looks normal. I never put her in with my flock and have started giving her the tyrlon L50 as I did for Buffy. She has been on the medecin for 4 days now and I really don't see any change. I also realized I was only giving her 1/4cc & not the 1/2cc that a big bird should be getting. I am now concerned about not giving her enough of the dose and tomorrow is the last shot of the 5 days will give her the 1/2cc tomorrow. I plan on keeping her quarenteened until she sounds better but how long should I do that? My birds are not to eat just for eggs they are our retirement pets. Since I have been picking her up for the shot I have noticed her breast isn't very large or full like she has been hungry or sick for a while. I can feel her breast bone. She might be an older bird I don't know much about being able to tell how old they are except all my other birls are starting to get red combs and my brahama roo sure likes them all I have a total of 6 counting big bird she would make 7. I have them in a large run so until she gets better she will not go into the flock. I think she is a white Delaware or a sussex the white plymouth rock she has the black and white around her neck and in her tail. She is very friendly and will come to me when I open the cage which was a surprise to me. I have had her in quarenteen for the last 4 days and she hasn't laid any eggs the change might stop that for a while until she gets use to the change?

Hello, hoping for some input on a rattle sound coming from 7 week old pullet. I have 15 new pullets all her age together. I bought them as day olds from the feed store. They have not been exposed to my adults. And I have been careful about bio security.
She is the on,y one with this rattle sound in her chest, but she has no other symptoms. She is eating drinking and pooping Normal...even her chirps sound normal. It's when I pick her up I notice the rattle type breathing . I have separated her but I'm not sure how to treat. I was leaning toward treating all of them with duramycin and probiotics. Can someone please advise me. It's baffling without any other symptoms...at least yet. It was rather dusty in the brooder so I have switched over to a less dusty bedding(straw instead of pine chips). I also put an air purifier next to them. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bantygritcrazy,

I feel your pain...when one of our birds need help and we don't know what is best, it is very stressful. It sounds as though you are doing the right things for your little one. ( One thing that is probably not related, is to watch using straw as bedding. Birds seem to eat most things and straw could cause some impaction...either crop or gizzard. You may be better off to use pine shavings...never cedar as it has some oils that can be toxic.)

Anyway, it's been quite a while since I had a bird with respiratory rattle. She was an adult. Tylan 50 from the feed store worked like a charm. It is injectible and inexpensive. It had been $10, I think. The box does not indicate it for chickens but then again, chickens are not often considered in things we use for them. The dose that was recommended was 1/4 cc for 3-5 days. My bird at the time weighed 4-5#. As I recall, after one injection, she was already doing better but I did continue for the 3 day period. She cleared up and it never came back. Give this some thought. Perhaps someone else will offer something and, if you have a vet, perhaps he/she could verify if you need more input. That's all I know. I hope you can get this resolved. Let us know!

Back
Top Bottom