respiratory thing and a MASSIVE eye swelling

Well if it's truly CRD, it's never gone. But maybe they're through the infective process, the ones that are getting better.

Did you ever put these birds on antibiotics by the way?

Alright, so I poked the swelling with a needle and tried to aspirate fluid. I poked two different places (used two different needles). I wasn't able to extract any fluid using the syringe. Then I tried to work fluid out of the swelling using a cloth. One of the holes bled some and produced some clear fluid, but not much. The other produced no fluid at all... not even blood.

So, so much for the swelling being full of pus.

I did go to the feed store, and the only antibiotics they had were duramycin, injectable tetracycline, and penicillin. I bought the tretracycline (I know, she's already had it through the drinking water). I figured maybe I would have more luck with an injection. Well, two days of .25cc of 200mg has not reduced the swelling. No respiratory distress. Eating and drinking fine. I think it MAY have gone down a bit since last night, so I'm going to do the wait and see approach for a few days unless she gets worse.

This will not be the first time I've said this, put the bird on a combination of Duramycin/Auromycin. This is the best combo for knocking back that infection.

Next, swelling of the face is not always CRD. I can't remember if you said others were like this or not. Sometimes they get things in their sinus' usually food. Which the body then reacts to and can result in what you are seeing.

Too much time has gone by for draining to work. Now the infection has solidified and probably will not go down. It needs to be excised and removed which can only be done by a vet because the bird could bleed to death.

This comes from first hand experience.

I agree with Robin on this one. And I highly agree with Robin - because you're not quite experienced with this, and because the eye is under there - don't repeat that again please. The correct treatment would be sinus flush but again this must be done at least with someone there who is experienced.

She really does need the dual-antibiotic treatment. You tried duramycin and it didn't work, so it won't work now alone. Period. It'll just stress the birds' system more.

Back
Top Bottom