Respitory problems?

a123andpoof

Songster
8 Years
Mar 17, 2011
Okay so being that we have had a very funky winter I am having problems. my waterer is all bent up and water was spilling onto the floor then freezing right away. I figured out how to deal with that, but now my floors are wet, and it's messing with the chickens. I am hearing a lot of sneezing and weezing. I will be getting new bedding tomorrow and weather permitting I will be doing a full coop cleaning the best I can. But it somehow the next day manages to get wet. What can I give the chickens so they feel better? Like I said sneezing it seems like a respitory problem.

Last edited:
First of all, consider purchasing a heated waterer, I dont know anything about them. It rarely gets that cold here where I live.
Could there be something environmental inside your coop causing the symptoms you described? For example; soiled bedding emitting ammonia fumes, improper ventilation, dust in bedding, or mold/fungus. You need to keep your coop as dry as possible.
Otherwise it could be a respiratory disease if it's not an environmental issue. It could be coryza if there's a foul odor around their head area. It could be mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.)
I would bet it's an environmental problem which can be corrected or eliminated. Here's a link to respiratory diseases, you can scroll down to the diseases I mentioned and read about them. Keep in mind there are usually other symptoms with both diseases and they are both contageous to other birds.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Its enviromental. So would just keeping the coop very clean eliminate the problem? I do have a heater for the water, but with how banged up the water is and the fact the coop is at a slant so the waterer spills water out. It's a pain. I finally took it off the heater, and put it in something so water wouldn't spill out. I do try to keep it dry, but as mentioned above it is very difficult and sometimes near impossible. I will get them a new waterer as soon as possible, but haven't been able to afford it.

Also there bedding is wet, just cleaned it like a week and a half ago. But when I go to clean I find it is frozen. Now it isn't frozen so will clean it tomorrow when I get bedding.

Just thought I should add that they all act totally normal except for the sneezing and slight weezing. They are still active.

My knee jerk response would be to start putting tetracycline hyd. in their water.it's cheap, you can get it at the ranch store..I mix up a gallon at a time..see if that helps? Where are you? is it severely cold or mild?

Back
Top Bottom