rest in peace Fawkes + my chicken story

horsegirlll

In the Brooder
May 2, 2022
warning: long story

my little girl, our og, passed away on the 29th of january, 22:36 AEST. this was the last chicken i had left of the very first 7 we got in 2018.
i’m 14 years old, so i was in primary school the day my dad picked me up. there was a box on the back of the ute, i asked him what it was, all he said; “you’ll see”. i thought nothing of it till we got home and i could hear chirping, and then suddenly it dawned on me. we had already finished building our coop, but i was still so surprised to actually have the chickens here with me.
they weren’t actually sexed when we got them, even though they were pullets, us being the inexperienced chicken people we were then we couldn’t tell the difference till we started hearing them crowing in the morning.
one of my dads friends took our 3 of 4 roosters, i had a sick feeling they weren’t going to a lovely farm like everyone was telling me about. i was probably right, but have never asked about it since, id probably rather keep it a possibility in my mind they lived happily for a little while.
so now we had 3 hens and a rooster. midnight, digger and fawkes were the girls, i can’t remember the roosters name but i do have it written down somewhere.
i do remember that digger jumped over the fence to the jaws of my dog, who did not mean a thing and has since gotten along well with my girls and boys.
so now we had 3. we knew that we couldn’t keep this up for long because our boy would stress out midnight and fawkes too much. we got 5 more chickens- ginger, popcorn, red, another chicken i can’t name and dusty(?). dusty and popcorn both passed away not long after, one to the dog next door and the other to a fox after being left out at night. after her i always made sure to count before locking the door.
i think it was around this point that ginger, red and our other girl jumped out of the coop to the jaws of yet another dog, our new pup. i’m not sure if he’s learnt yet, but he is playful and the flapping of their wings must make him excited.
i came home that day. it was mother’s day, my poppa had died that morning. me and my dad had just arrived when i looked out the back door and saw the 3 chickens with feathers laying around. i yelled out to my dad, locked the dog away and grabbed the hens. we sat in the garage for hours with our fire/heater on.
ginger had a hole in her neck, red was a bit bloodied up and missing feathers but otherwise okay. our other girl had a lot of blood on her back, and died of what i think was shock.
before she died, i went to bed. i woke up at around 3 that morning with a worried feeling in my stomach, but i ignored it and went back to sleep. oh, how i wish i had gotten up to spend the last moments with my girl.
next day we took ginger to the vets, i was afraid they would say euthanasia was the only option so i hid a note in the carrier with her begging the vet to help her. anyway, all we needed was some cream so it wouldn’t get infected🤦‍♀️
fast forward to now. like i said, my girl fawkes has just died. she’s met all the chickens we’ve owned, even the one we only had for 2 days because we picked her up thinking she was ours. she flew over the fence to the neighbours dog. (man i’m glad they moved, they were useless with getting her body back to us.)
i’ve had so many memories with fawkes. her sitting on my shoulder as a pullet. her always being top of the pecking order but being nice to the new girls, whenever they were put together.
her own little hens and roosters she created.
all her little things that were just hers, like the perch in the corner of the chicken coop.
she was a rhode island red. so so pretty. it’s going to take me a while to get used to not seeing her with the others.
i’ll always love you forky❤️

pictures description:

1- fawkes while we only had 3 chickens

2- fawkes’ son (june 2019)

3- fawkes’ daughter (june 2019)

4- fawkes (may 2022)

5- fawkes and ginger (may 2022)

6- buckbeak, hermione, ginger, fawkes and shadow (december 2021)

7- fawkes, ginger and in the background is cookies (may 2022)

8- the 7 original chickens

9- fawkes again (early january 2023)

10- sleeping positions, 2 chickens not visible (september 2022)

Attachments

• B4D2E7A8-B66C-4A2A-A1AE-B08622760727.jpeg
    B4D2E7A8-B66C-4A2A-A1AE-B08622760727.jpeg
    836.7 KB · Views: 62
  • DC97E11A-3591-4D95-900A-8D29CFB1D824.jpeg
    DC97E11A-3591-4D95-900A-8D29CFB1D824.jpeg
    715.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 96277FFB-ADEF-4608-A397-C5C7B39819B5.jpeg
    96277FFB-ADEF-4608-A397-C5C7B39819B5.jpeg
    446.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 3090DB03-2087-4484-998F-A02F061826F0.jpeg
    3090DB03-2087-4484-998F-A02F061826F0.jpeg
    848.1 KB · Views: 14
  • E70D4A1B-F76F-415D-B316-9B1BC6E0C5B1.jpeg
    E70D4A1B-F76F-415D-B316-9B1BC6E0C5B1.jpeg
    892.3 KB · Views: 16
  • A2969EED-729E-4976-A080-F6D6EA9A98A0.jpeg
    A2969EED-729E-4976-A080-F6D6EA9A98A0.jpeg
    790.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 51CA19C2-AE5A-4E38-9474-80CB7374E971.jpeg
    51CA19C2-AE5A-4E38-9474-80CB7374E971.jpeg
    933.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 029150D2-D498-4824-9D81-858B7B8743E5.jpeg
    029150D2-D498-4824-9D81-858B7B8743E5.jpeg
    604 KB · Views: 18
  • 17AB7D71-2655-4CE5-9BCA-72D2A1A5E6A5.jpeg
    17AB7D71-2655-4CE5-9BCA-72D2A1A5E6A5.jpeg
    301.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 59783D86-989B-493E-B930-105EB50C3EF4.jpeg
    59783D86-989B-493E-B930-105EB50C3EF4.jpeg
    741.7 KB · Views: 20

my little girl, our og, passed away on the 29th of january, 22:36 AEST. this was the last chicken i had left of the very first 7 we got in 2018.
i’m 14 years old, so i was in primary school the day my dad picked me up. there was a box on the back of the ute, i asked him what it was, all he said; “you’ll see”. i thought nothing of it till we got home and i could hear chirping, and then suddenly it dawned on me. we had already finished building our coop, but i was still so surprised to actually have the chickens here with me.
they weren’t actually sexed when we got them, even though they were pullets, us being the inexperienced chicken people we were then we couldn’t tell the difference till we started hearing them crowing in the morning.
one of my dads friends took our 3 of 4 roosters, i had a sick feeling they weren’t going to a lovely farm like everyone was telling me about. i was probably right, but have never asked about it since, id probably rather keep it a possibility in my mind they lived happily for a little while.
so now we had 3 hens and a rooster. midnight, digger and fawkes were the girls, i can’t remember the roosters name but i do have it written down somewhere.
i do remember that digger jumped over the fence to the jaws of my dog, who did not mean a thing and has since gotten along well with my girls and boys.
so now we had 3. we knew that we couldn’t keep this up for long because our boy would stress out midnight and fawkes too much. we got 5 more chickens- ginger, popcorn, red, another chicken i can’t name and dusty(?). dusty and popcorn both passed away not long after, one to the dog next door and the other to a fox after being left out at night. after her i always made sure to count before locking the door.
i think it was around this point that ginger, red and our other girl jumped out of the coop to the jaws of yet another dog, our new pup. i’m not sure if he’s learnt yet, but he is playful and the flapping of their wings must make him excited.
i came home that day. it was mother’s day, my poppa had died that morning. me and my dad had just arrived when i looked out the back door and saw the 3 chickens with feathers laying around. i yelled out to my dad, locked the dog away and grabbed the hens. we sat in the garage for hours with our fire/heater on.
ginger had a hole in her neck, red was a bit bloodied up and missing feathers but otherwise okay. our other girl had a lot of blood on her back, and died of what i think was shock.
before she died, i went to bed. i woke up at around 3 that morning with a worried feeling in my stomach, but i ignored it and went back to sleep. oh, how i wish i had gotten up to spend the last moments with my girl.
next day we took ginger to the vets, i was afraid they would say euthanasia was the only option so i hid a note in the carrier with her begging the vet to help her. anyway, all we needed was some cream so it wouldn’t get infected🤦‍♀️
fast forward to now. like i said, my girl fawkes has just died. she’s met all the chickens we’ve owned, even the one we only had for 2 days because we picked her up thinking she was ours. she flew over the fence to the neighbours dog. (man i’m glad they moved, they were useless with getting her body back to us.)
i’ve had so many memories with fawkes. her sitting on my shoulder as a pullet. her always being top of the pecking order but being nice to the new girls, whenever they were put together.
all her little things that were just hers, like the perch in the corner of the chicken coop.
she was a rhode island red. so so pretty. it’s going to take me a while to get used to not seeing her with the others.

pictures description:

4- fawkes (may 2022)

What a beautiful family history! I can certainly see how one can become very attached to these wonderful creatures. I'm just starting out here. I'm where you were, when you just got your chicken coop. No chicks yet. I'm trying to wait for Spring, since I don't know what I'm doing. Don't want them to freeze.

They were so lucky having you to care for them. When you think of how badly chickens are treated with very little time to live and in awful conditions your flock was truly blessed.

I know you will be sad right now but try to comfort yourself knowing you did the best you could for them and they had the freedom that many feathered creatures have never had and that's all because of you! ❤

pictures description:

4- fawkes (may 2022)

Thank you for sharing your story horsegirlll, your flock is lovely, and it takes a special person to enjoy and cherish their pets.

❤️❤️❤️

Back
Top Bottom