Resting Chicks is it Normal?

johny

Songster
13 Years
May 22, 2010
My 7 day old Buff Orp chicks have started to spend a lot of time resting. The first 5 days they were busy running around in the brooder.
Now they spend lots of time near or under the lamp lying down but with their heads up looking around.
They look healthy but seem lazy compared to the first 5 days of their lives. The wing and tail feathers are developing well. They are growing bigger. They run over to the feed dish and eat whenever I top up with fresh feed. None have pasting. Judging from the feed that disappears when I am not there and the amount of poop on the bedding, they are clearly eating well. The temperature under the lamp is 95F.

I am concerned about the abrupt change in behaviour. Is it normal for chicks to be resting so much?

Just resting.

I went into panic mode several times after my babies arrived. I spent lots of time peering into the brooder to see if they were still breathing. If they are eating, drinking and no pasting....they are doing great!
thumbsup.gif

I'm guessing all that growing is hard work! I've noticed mine sleeping a lot more now too. Watching them fall asleep standing up and then fall over is just about the funniest thing!

They grow fast, and build feathers fast, and that takes energy. Little chicks do sleep a lot, and often quite suddenly. Plumph! (Sound of chick falling over into the bedding, sound asleep.)

As long as they're eating and pooping and they do move around up on their legs, it's perfectly fine for them to sleep a lot.

Back
Top Bottom