Resting shipped eggs before incubation?

I placed them all in the incubator, candled them before and they all seem in good shape.
I put 10 in and I'm not expecting no more or less to hatch, it's up to the eggs 😊
Even tho i really hope a few do decide to hatch 😅
As long as they didn’t get too hot in transit. Some should hatch. I prefer the temperatures to be no more than 80 or less than 40 degrees. When the eggs are in transit. I think anything marked “Live” is not allowed to sit on the truck very long. So hopefully you will at least get a few chicks. For all your efforts.

I personally like to let them rest at least 24 hours. It might have just been chance but I have tended to get better results doing so rather than letting them not rest at all or putting them in after only a few hours. The one exception I make is if they come during hot weather then I'll put them in straight away in case they started developing en route. My theory is after such a turbulent journey sometimes just letting them have some time of relative inactivity before they start developing (which just has so much going on at the cellular level) may help them recover a bit. I don't notice the waiting helps with the air cells, that has more to do with what you do after incubation starts in my experience.

Shipped eggs can just be so tricky no matter what method you use. I've played around with quite a few and found my favorite to be letting them rest 24 hours large end up before incubation. Once incubation starts I have them incubating upright with no turning for the first 2-3 days. I'm still settling on what I like best after that. 😂 While one method might tend to give a bit of a boost that is not to say that another won't work fairly well too.

I've also had to be a lot more hands on during the hatching process with a lot of my shipped eggs too to get decent hatches. Part of this might be because of the breed I hatch though (silkies, often with vaulted skulls which can make it difficult for them to position correctly even without shipping).

Good luck with your first shipped eggs, I hope they do really well for you! :)
Hello,
I just have one question about shipped eggs,
For the first three days, when you say you don't turn them, that means no turning at all, right?
(like not even manually turning the eggs?)
Just leave them like that ?
Sorry, I know this question might be late, but my first attempt at hatching shipped eggs was a failure. Out of 10, only 1 developed and the rest were scrambled/ had detached air cells..
i let them rest for 7-8 hours and placed them pointy side down in incubator for about a day then started to turn. Sadly, the one that did hatch died a few hours after it hatched :hit

Hello,
I just have one question about shipped eggs,
For the first three days, when you say you don't turn them, that means no turning at all, right?
(like not even manually turning the eggs?)
Just leave them like that ?
Sorry, I know this question might be late, but my first attempt at hatching shipped eggs was a failure. Out of 10, only 1 developed and the rest were scrambled/ had detached air cells..
i let them rest for 7-8 hours and placed them pointy side down in incubator for about a day then started to turn. Sadly, the one that did hatch died a few hours after it hatched :hit

Yes, I don't turn at all not even manually for the first 2-3 days. I've heard some suggest not turning the first week but when I tried I noticed the blood vessel network not expanding in a normal way (one side of the egg had much more sparse blood vessels) and while it did help more develop I lost a lot more than usual around day 18-20. I don't notice 2-3 days of no turning affecting the way they develop too much and it does seem like it might help get a few more to develop from what I've seen with my shipped eggs.

I'm so sorry your first time didn't work out, sounds like they must have had a rough trip. :( It's really impressive you got the one to hatch given the rest being scrambled or air cells detached. I'm really sorry it wasn't able to pull through after hatch. 😢 I really hope the next batch comes in better shape and you get some babies. :fl

Hi, sorry to jump in here late. I'm gettng some eggs in the mail today or tomorrow. I've hatched shipped eggs a few times. The first time was over 10 years ago. We got an assortment from Murray McMurray, popped them right in the Hovabator, and opened that thing up a couple times a day to manually turn. All but one of those suckers hatched! We never expected any different!

Now I'm using a Nurture Right 360 and the only thing that bothers me is that side-lying position. I'm receiving some eggs today. How does this plan sound?
-place all intact eggs in the incubator in cut-down egg cartons (i.e., remove the turner attachment) to help with ventilation to keep them point down for 3 days.
-Then open incubator, replace turner and check air sacs and mark problem eggs, place everybody on their sides, begin turning.
-continue on as normal
-should lockdown be at day 19? I've read some people do lockdown early and again put them point down at that time?

ty for your thoughts.

Yes, I don't turn at all not even manually for the first 2-3 days. I've heard some suggest not turning the first week but when I tried I noticed the blood vessel network not expanding in a normal way (one side of the egg had much more sparse blood vessels) and while it did help more develop I lost a lot more than usual around day 18-20. I don't notice 2-3 days of no turning affecting the way they develop too much and it does seem like it might help get a few more to develop from what I've seen with my shipped eggs.

I'm so sorry your first time didn't work out, sounds like they must have had a rough trip. :( It's really impressive you got the one to hatch given the rest being scrambled or air cells detached. I'm really sorry it wasn't able to pull through after hatch. 😢 I really hope the next batch comes in better shape and you get some babies. :fl
Thank you for the response!
So far i'm on day 3 with the new batch
I didn't start turning till day 2 So fingers crossed their developing
Is it okay to keep the humidity low for the first few days ? (Staying around 35-48%)
Or do you think I should keep it as high as possible?
Ahhh I can't wait till I candle them on day 7 😅😅
:fl
& thank you so much, I really hope for a better hatch this time !

Hi, sorry to jump in here late. I'm gettng some eggs in the mail today or tomorrow. I've hatched shipped eggs a few times. The first time was over 10 years ago. We got an assortment from Murray McMurray, popped them right in the Hovabator, and opened that thing up a couple times a day to manually turn. All but one of those suckers hatched! We never expected any different!

Now I'm using a Nurture Right 360 and the only thing that bothers me is that side-lying position. I'm receiving some eggs today. How does this plan sound?
-place all intact eggs in the incubator in cut-down egg cartons (i.e., remove the turner attachment) to help with ventilation to keep them point down for 3 days.
-Then open incubator, replace turner and check air sacs and mark problem eggs, place everybody on their sides, begin turning.
-continue on as normal
-should lockdown be at day 19? I've read some people do lockdown early and again put them point down at that time?

ty for your thoughts.
Hi! Sorry for the late reply.
I just got a nurture right 360 actually, and it is my first time using it with shipped eggs.
I'd totally recommend putting them point side down in egg cartons for the first 2-3 days, that's what I did. And letting them rest 24 hours prior to incubation so the eggs can stablize as well as get to room temp if cold. I did notice the egg tray in this bator is a bit rough on the eggs when turning, so I put a cabinet liner on it and the eggs turn much smoother.

Typically lockdown begins at day 18, when you raise the humidity to 55-70%
But I think it all depends on what you think best.
My last two hatches I took the egg turner out on day 16( when I noticed the eggs moving a lot) and raised the humidity at day 18. They hatched fine this way. only one made it in my last batch of shipped eggs,(10 total, the other 9 were scrambled due to rough handling of shipment) and her air cell was quite saddled. Don't worry about the saddled air cell, if the chick is moving quite a lot then you can bet it is going to make it to hatch. I candled the egg at day 16, or 18, marked the air cell, and laid it on its side with the largest part of the saddled air cell facing up. She internally pipped two days later and took 14 hours until external pip and unzipped in seconds.
Sometimes, in cases of weak genetics or certain breeds they may require assisted hatches, if you want to look into that.
And also, after the chick internally pips, just wait 24 hours before jumping into assistance.
This is what I have to suggest, based on my experience, but it's up to you, sometimes I just listened to my freaky intuition and everything turned out all right.. prayers really help too! 😊
I really hope you hatch all your eggs and have a beautiful experience ! 🤗 (sorry for the long response, Just had a lot to say! )

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom