Resting Shipped Eggs?

dbtcowgirl

Songster
Jun 3, 2020
Whenever I get shipped eggs I always let them rest 24 hours before incubating. My old incubators had the eggs laying on their sides, my new cabinet style has them upright. So my question is can I put them in the incubator and just not turn them or should they still be kept at 55 for 24 hours then put in? I would also love to know your results in turning versus not turning for a couple days! Thanks so much!

Viability goes down with age. No amount of resting will save an egg that has been "killed" by mishandling. I set shipped eggs immediately but start turning in about 48 hours. Works for me but do what you think is best.

in my pretty limited experience of actually incubating eggs what ive noticed is the less i mess with them the better the results ..personally i would put them in the incubator and start them just as soon as it was stabilized, and yes they get turned until the last 3-4 days .. probably the most critical factor is just getting the humidity right .. and i would probably expect eggs shook up by shipping to have a lower hatchrate then eggs i pulled out of the nest myself, such is the way of things ..

Resting for 24 hours and incubating for 2-3 days without turning can help correct detached air cells.
Thank you for the reply, I have them all resting now and I am planning on not turning them for a few days and hopefully they settle well. I am fairly certain that our Post Office employs primates as package sorters so I always worry!

Thank you for the reply, I have them all resting now and I am planning on not turning them for a few days and hopefully they settle well. I am fairly certain that our Post Office employs primates as package sorters so I always worry!

I've had shipped eggs hatch from 0% to 100%. I consider 30%-40% a very good hatch for shipped eggs personally.

Did a test myself a month or so ago. I had 8 shipped eggs with all detached air cells. I didn’t turn them for the first 3 days standing on end of course. Started turning near end of day 3. End of day 18 (lockdown) I stood them up in a cut down egg carton. Surprisingly 5 chicks hatched before the end of day 21. One more on day 22 so 6/8
hatched. Just though I would share that info.
Good luck

Resting for 24 hours and incubating for 2-3 days without turning can help correct detached air cells.

Did a test myself a month or so ago. I had 8 shipped eggs with all detached air cells. I didn’t turn them for the first 3 days standing on end of course. Started turning near end of day 3. End of day 18 (lockdown) I stood them up in a cut down egg carton. Surprisingly 5 chicks hatched before the end of day 21. One more on day 22 so 6/8
hatched. Just though I would share that info.
Good luck
I have used the upright hatching method on a few batches of shipped eggs and had good results. It seems to help the ones that are a little wonky get themselves out.

Viability goes down with age. No amount of resting will save an egg that has been "killed" by mishandling. I set shipped eggs immediately but start turning in about 48 hours. Works for me but do what you think is best.
I agree age is a huge factor and amazingly these all made it pretty quick. These will have all set pointy side down for at least twelve hours then I put the in the cabinet. I am not turning them for a couple days, so hopefully I found a happy medium.

Back
Top Bottom