Resting Shipped Eggs?

dbtcowgirl

Songster
Jun 3, 2020
Whenever I get shipped eggs I always let them rest 24 hours before incubating. My old incubators had the eggs laying on their sides, my new cabinet style has them upright. So my question is can I put them in the incubator and just not turn them or should they still be kept at 55 for 24 hours then put in? I would also love to know your results in turning versus not turning for a couple days! Thanks so much!

in my pretty limited experience of actually incubating eggs what ive noticed is the less i mess with them the better the results ..personally i would put them in the incubator and start them just as soon as it was stabilized, and yes they get turned until the last 3-4 days .. probably the most critical factor is just getting the humidity right .. and i would probably expect eggs shook up by shipping to have a lower hatchrate then eggs i pulled out of the nest myself, such is the way of things ..

Resting for 24 hours and incubating for 2-3 days without turning can help correct detached air cells.

Resting for 24 hours and incubating for 2-3 days without turning can help correct detached air cells.
Thank you for the reply, I have them all resting now and I am planning on not turning them for a few days and hopefully they settle well. I am fairly certain that our Post Office employs primates as package sorters so I always worry!

Thank you for the reply, I have them all resting now and I am planning on not turning them for a few days and hopefully they settle well. I am fairly certain that our Post Office employs primates as package sorters so I always worry!

I've had shipped eggs hatch from 0% to 100%. I consider 30%-40% a very good hatch for shipped eggs personally.

Did a test myself a month or so ago. I had 8 shipped eggs with all detached air cells. I didn’t turn them for the first 3 days standing on end of course. Started turning near end of day 3. End of day 18 (lockdown) I stood them up in a cut down egg carton. Surprisingly 5 chicks hatched before the end of day 21. One more on day 22 so 6/8
hatched. Just though I would share that info.
Good luck

Viability goes down with age. No amount of resting will save an egg that has been "killed" by mishandling. I set shipped eggs immediately but start turning in about 48 hours. Works for me but do what you think is best.

Did a test myself a month or so ago. I had 8 shipped eggs with all detached air cells. I didn’t turn them for the first 3 days standing on end of course. Started turning near end of day 3. End of day 18 (lockdown) I stood them up in a cut down egg carton. Surprisingly 5 chicks hatched before the end of day 21. One more on day 22 so 6/8
hatched. Just though I would share that info.
Good luck
I have used the upright hatching method on a few batches of shipped eggs and had good results. It seems to help the ones that are a little wonky get themselves out.

Viability goes down with age. No amount of resting will save an egg that has been "killed" by mishandling. I set shipped eggs immediately but start turning in about 48 hours. Works for me but do what you think is best.
I agree age is a huge factor and amazingly these all made it pretty quick. These will have all set pointy side down for at least twelve hours then I put the in the cabinet. I am not turning them for a couple days, so hopefully I found a happy medium.

Back
Top Bottom