Restoring An Old Hen-house

Love it love it love it. Nothing like old buildings.

With that said you prob could have sold the old wood for a small fortune. That stuff goes for big money. every time an d barn falls around here people are lined up to salvage what they can. An acquaintance actually sold off his standing barn made enough to build I bigger one and still pocketed some coin.

I still am a Huge fan of "vintage" buildings

Actually, I have not thrown away ANY reusable wood. As boards come off I've been taking the nails out of them and seperating them into "reusable" and "just gone" stacks. The second will be going in the compost heap for next spring, but the first I'm putting in a good, dry room in the barn to use when I have to replace boards on the other 3 sides. Eventually I will probably have to suck it up and put a modern siding on the coop, but with a bit od luck and planning I can stall that day for many years to come. And don't worry caleb, it's all good. Even if I go hom to find egg bombs tonight, tbat just means that I'm getting a head start on next years breeding, right ;)

Your chicken coop is way older than 50 years i bet.River Rock floor My guess would be the 1920'-1950s.Maybe earlier but i bet not later. What do the nails and hinges look like ? It has probably been worked on as the years went by and things replaced.Any square headed nails?Just wonder. When have you seen a floor like that last? YOu might research that someplace. Who owned the property before you or your family?.
Really interesting

Actually dirt floor, river rock foundation. It's definately been maintained "a bit here and there" a couple of really old concrete blocks are replacing a few of the river rocks that rotted away. I'm going to have to add one cinder block myself where something dug under several years ago. I am intrigued that there are a couple old scool cinder blocks and a hand full of bricks, there us no evidence of any kind of morter, everything in the foundation is just "fit" together. Which is anotjer aspect I love. Yes there are some square headed nails, as well as some that are clearly homemade and a few that look worthy of vampire hunting, lol. Any of those that have to be taken out of rotten wood are being set aside to have the corrosion cleaned off and kept. Things you see in museums aplenty, but just never encounter in the mundane world. There is actually a very few dove-tail and tongue and groove joints dowel joints if you look really closely, sadly most of those were replaced long before I was working on this project. I stand by that this must have been built from local hickory wood, probably felled from the property and milled close by. Hickory is just the only wood I know that would survive this long untreated. In the souther humidity. Another thing that leqds me to believe in local, as in "they did it themselves" manufacture is that all of the lumber sizes are true, the 2x4s really ARE 2" x 4", and nowhere was a 2x4 substituted that 2x6 could be squeezed. This coop was built with what can only be deacribed as a different perspective on life than what we build with now. I just still can't figure out who lived in this are at that time frame that had a large enough family group to warrejt a coop with 14 egg boxes, lol.

Oh yeah, I'm not talking anything major, just a couple passes with a steel wool pad to take to freshest layer of oxidation off. Some ot them have been exposed to a fair amount of weather in the last 3-4 years and you can tell.

Back
Top Bottom