restructuring after roo removal??? Blah -- how long will it last?

Ok good -- eventually this pullet will be accepted? They won't chase her around forever? That is good to know. I was almost thinking of finding her a better home since she is so sweet and I feel like this must be miserable for her! But if I know there is light at the end of the tunnel -- that is a lot better!
** new pullet was obviously getting picked on in her previous home since she had a lot of feather loss on her back when I got her. Those are starting to grow back and I haven't seen anyone actually peck her they just kinda chase her and she runs! So maybe this is still better than her previous situation?

I got rid of one of my fav roos because he was a rough mater and the hens are as happy as can be! i just got a new roo though and they adore him. they seem to like him better but i think that is because he isnt a rough mater.. (or maybe he doesnt mate at all?
barnie.gif
)

We just took our beautiful New Hampshire Red rooster back today to the local feed store where we got him 4 1/2 months ago. He attacked my 4 year old, flying up at her face, scratching with his legs and bit her on the wrist. He drew blood and he only backed down after held him on the ground with my foot. Then less than an hour later he came at her again right in front of me. So he had to go. We'll see how my hens do now.

Im sorry but if one of my roos went after my kids....it would take me all of about 2 seconds to fix the problem and not have that rooster no more....he would be in the oven without even thinking about it.

My roo is a little ahead of the ladies; he wants to breed and has a favorite every day, kind of a flavor of the day; and I have given thought to some skinless chicken, but I free range and really want to keep a roo for protection of the ladies. Now if he were to attack and draw blood on my family- we would definitely be having BBQ and I would shop for a new roo. Many of the people in town have extra roos they would gladly allow me to test drive with my hens.

Yayyyy!
wee.gif
Peepers is coming to get RueRoo and I don't have to eat him afterall.

I'm not sure how my hens will react, but I plan to put in a couple of new pullets and my Betty Boy teeny bopper roo/cockeral once Rue has gone to live with Peeper's girls who free range. Mine don't free range and I'm thinking that him locked up in a pen with girls that he was raised with might be his problem. He's just a little too authoritive for my liking. But I'm a leo and I'd kick a man in the knees if he treated me like Rue treats his girls.

"Im sorry but if one of my roos went after my kids....it would take me all of about 2 seconds to fix the problem and not have that rooster no more....he would be in the oven without even thinking about it."

I agree. He attacked my daughter yesterday and we were ready to eat him. My older daughter intervened on his behalf and so this morning less than 16 hours from when the attack happened, he was returned to the local feed store where we purchased him almost 5 months ago. The owners have 40 acres and were happy to re-home him with them even with his sordid history. So, problem solved.

Oh, and my hens do not seem a bit sad that the rooster is gone. They went to bed tonight without any fighting or re-sorting of the pecking order. Hen number one is still hen number one. Sparkles is still at the bottom.

They are a little bit scattered though. I guess he must have kept them together as a flock better.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Back
Top Bottom