resubmited pm- Muscovy Pet Duckling advice

katiebob

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 22, 2009
Nor Cal, CA
Hi,
I have 4, four day old Muscovies. They were born to their duck mama and I have had them for two days. They seem to be bonding to me well, for the most part. I intend to keep only the ducks (hopefully I have 2 in the group) to have as pets. My family and I spend about 6-7 hours a day hanging out with the ducklings on the floor, we also cuddle with them while we watch TV i.e. they sleep on our chests. I do this to help with the bonding process.
One if the babies is much more "mouthy", it likes to grab clothes and pinch at my hands more than the others. Do I grab the beak and say 'no' or do I ignore this habit? I've never raised ducklings before and I would appreciate any and all advice you have.
Thanks

Last edited:
Honestly it's doing that because it doesn't like to be held and is probably stressed out. Ducks as a rule are not "cuddley" pets. Mine follow me around, but don't like to be held at all...and some I've had for about 7 years. Cats and dogs are cuddley pets, not ducks.

Being so young I would say they are just exploring their new world as mine tend to explore everything new with their tiny beaks - But it does sound like this is a little more intentional bitting that is happeneing. It might settle down the more it is held and gets used to human contact. If you do try to hold the beak in anyway be very careful as to not place your fingers over the tiny nostrils- or damage the beak while it is still so soft. Being that they were with the mum for the first two days- They will have started to bond with her- and some may take a little more time than others bonding wth you now.

is it pinching somewhat agressively or is it nibbling? I had a duckling last year that would pinch really hard a lot of times. he really didnt like being bothered. most of my girls & even the 2 drakes will come up to me and nibble my pant leg and stuff as a sort of affectionate gesture.

Hi All,
Thanks for the responses. I did just edit my question because it made it seem as though I was over handling the ducklings.
I think the duckling is just playing a little, though I wasn't sure. The duckling grabs at whatever is around it wether a sibling or me. Also, it does this when we are on the floor 'hanging out' so I doubt that it is too stressed as I don't force the ducklings to be close to me.

Quote:
I have to agree with Katy here. I love my ducks and my ducks love me. They'll will follow me everywhere... but they don't want to be handled at all. Maybe it's because we live on a farm, but I've never understood why anyone would want to cuddle one anyway. Ick.
tongue.png

Thanks for your replies.
My intention is only to have personable ducks to enjoy the backyard with. I need to be able to handle them to put a diaper on them as I don't want them pooping all over our patio when guests are over, or the occasional time they come in the house. I have no intention of cuddling with adult ducks or even juvenile ducks. I am only letting them sleep on my chest because they are so young and they sleep often, and of course we are trying to bond with them. With that said I appreciate all concern, however I would love more advice from those who have pet ducks that they handle regularly- not those with barnyard/pond ornaments. Thanks again, I do appreciate your advice and I will be aware to not over handle the babies.

The baby ducks seem content and playful. I turned the ducklings loose on our rug tonight without trying to keep them near, but, somehow they all ended up back in my lap! They are so cute.

Quote:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I see what you're saying now. I misunderstood you. I am friendly with my ducks. They're pets in as much as they will interact a little and come running when they see me, especially if I have peas in my hand.
lol.png
I thought you were saying you wanted to cuddle them forever.
hmm.png
My advice is just stay friendly with them, talk to them, make sure they know people mean safety treats and FOOD and that YOU ARE THE BOSS!
big_smile.png
I don't know of any duck that's gonna LIKE having a diaper put on, but you're bigger than them, I'm sure you can do it.

Just remember that a drake that loves you too much might become REAL aggressive with the.. ahem... love.
lol.png
Especially during breeding season.

Ducks most certaintly can be cuddly pets. But this is if they are raised one at a time, not seeing other ducks, and handled and played with daily. Like dogs, if you raise two or more puppies together, they usually get more upset to be away from each other than you, and they play with each other when you want them to play with you. Both ducks and dogs are group animals. I have a new duckling that I hatched 12 days ago who is to be a house duck. I had one many years ago (I was a kid) that I got on a whim and while he was outside for most of his life, he was attacked by a dog and had to be brought inside for his own safety. I made him diapers. He seemed very happy inside. He took baths in the tub, slept on the bed, and got a helping of whatever we cooked for dinner as long as it was okay for him. He loved giving "hugs" with his neck. His favorite place to be was on your lap. My new duckling is very much the same. I have outdoor ducks too, but they are for meat and eggs. This baby is our pet.
Remember there was a time when people thought dogs should not be indoors and that it was cruel to keep them indoors. We now feel quite differently.

Anyway, they have to be taught not to nip. The best way I've found is to set them down when they do. They want to be with you, so it's a negative experience, but not one that hurts. It's working quite well for my baby.

Back
Top Bottom