Resumed egg laying stopped after 9 days...?

mudhen

confidently clueless
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Shepherdstown, WV
Millie, who is around 3+ years old, was a great broody mom to six chicks, now 13 weeks old.

Well, 10 days ago, Millie started laying eggs again.
woot.gif
I hadn't noticed until day six or seven, when I brought in the seven eggs. Early the eighth day, nothing, but on the ninth, there were two eggs.
Yesterday, I found one egg on the floor of the coop instead of the nesting box.
Today (afternoon) nothing.
hu.gif

Now, in the past year she 'missed' a few weeks here and there where she didn't lay at all. The last time she started laying again was in December, after nearly a two month break of no eggs. She became broody about then (the first time ever) and that's when we gave her fertile eggs to hatch.
That plan didn't work and in February she adopted the week old chicks (now 13 wks old).

Is this a normal sort of pattern for an older hen: to lay for a week or so, then quit for a while? She has oyster shell and laying crumbles available at all times, as well as treats and goodies.
Any ideas/advise?

Here's Millie, yesterday:
May152007.jpg

Millie sure is a pretty girl !

Hens stop laying for a while after they hatch or brood chicks. Even though she adopted the chicks, it sounds like she is following the normal cycle.

However, 13 weeks is a long time before the next egg. It is probably a combination of things, including her age and possibly a molt.

Back
Top Bottom