Retired hen questions

Chikenshiken

Songster
Feb 1, 2023
Think my hen has just retired from laying. She’s only around 2 years old so it’s a bit weird… Is this too young to retire? Should I be concerned about other health issues? She’s a golden comet and has never ever stopped laying eggs. I don’t notice anything wrong with her really I just noticed today that her eggs were not there. Hopefully she’ll pick up to laying again I’m just paranoid because she’s my first chicken and I’ve never had a chicken retire yet

Considering her cross, she could be pretty empty. I think I've had 2 hens actually completely stop laying, 1 of which only ever laid a handful of normal eggs in her currently 10 years of living. Her aunts and sister (different breeds, 11 and 10 years old respectfully), still lay, although 1 is infertile and 1 rarely has eggs hatch. I tend to consider retired hens retired when their laying goes to 1 a week at most

How long has it been since she last laid? I wouldn't consider her "retired" unless she doesn't start up again by next spring.
I’ve never really heard of golden comets going on a laying hiatus. I know my production red does stop laying when it’s cold. But her sister who’s also a golden comet is still laying continuously. I’m not sure I guess I’ll just have to wait and see 💔

I’ve never really heard of golden comets going on a laying hiatus. I know my production red does stop laying when it’s cold. But her sister who’s also a golden comet is still laying continuously. I’m not sure I guess I’ll just have to wait and see 💔
Comets are a commercial egg laying hybrid. Most are processed at 18 months before they have a chance to slow down with laying

Back
Top Bottom