Retiring to a small farm

Picture_20201112_092225313.jpg

We bought a 5 acre farm near New Castle, Indiana, and we've started trying to work it. We did good size garden this past summer and will probably expand that bits at a time. A friend gave us a couple of chickens this summer, and they're surviving and laying. Prior owners were never able to keep chickens for a number of reasons, mainly predators. We want to make it through to spring and then add on. Our immediate need is a good coop, which is what led us to this site. The girls have been living in a small urban coop, but that won't be enough for the winter. We aren't great with tools, but we've made some good friends who are, so we should be able to put something together to do right by the girls. Future plans include some miniature goats, miniature donkeys and horses, other small animals. That means building a barn next spring/summer. We look forward to sharing with you. These are the girls, Lucy and Ethel.

View attachment 2449655
I love those names!! Welcome and Congrats on the new "farm".
Not knowing anything, I started with a 10x10 chain link dog run with a cover. It was simple to set up and inexpensive compared to wood & wire construction. Plus it came with a gate. That part of construction was totally out of my wheelhouse!
Rienforced the gaps at the top with chicken wire to keep roof top predators out. The run is large enough to put a house inside for them to roost & lay in.
Also easy to add chain link panels to expand the run. We added 3 more panels, so now the run is 10x20 with 2 gates.
This will get you through the winter while you settle on a permanent site and it can be moved.
Cost in all for the run was under $900.
Add a shed inside or at 1 end for a house if you want a larger roost area, plus nay allow room for storage.
We do predict that you'll end up with more chickens! Everybody does! 🐣 0928191304.jpg 1011201802.jpg 1014201506b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom