Retroactive Integration?

Backyard Dacks

Songster
Mar 27, 2019
NYC
Hello! I recently traded out two of the five flock members for two new ones (females) who are quite a bit smaller than the remaining three (also females). I know there are rules for integrating new flock members safely so that they do not get bullied, however, I was in quite a rush when these two came and had to have them unceremoniously placed with the other three. Of course, they are getting lots of freshy treatment; what can be done (if anything) to establish peace among the flock?

Hello! I recently traded out two of the five flock members for two new ones (females) who are quite a bit smaller than the remaining three (also females). I know there are rules for integrating new flock members safely so that they do not get bullied, however, I was in quite a rush when these two came and had to have them unceremoniously placed with the other three. Of course, they are getting lots of freshy treatment; what can be done (if anything) to establish peace among the flock?
Lots of room and plenty of hiding spots.

They can hide, but they won't be getting food; it's hard to place food in specific areas in the coop. Either way, the veterans will probably find it.
Vets will keep newcomers from eating. They have no compassion. If death by starvation works, they’ll use it.

Lots of places to hide and run to.
Place extra dishes of water around the area, and either place some more dishes of feed around, as well, or scatter feed on the ground in several places -- the vets can't chase the newbies off from the feed if there are more feed spots than vets.

Back
Top Bottom