Returning eggs to a broody hen?

Kisura

Chirping
May 27, 2020
NW Wyoming
My sweet little bantam rooster died today. I don’t know why- I just found him under the porch. We did have a cold spell but he’s lived through worse through the winter and the hens seem fine.

I have two hens that are broody since last Thursday. I hadn’t planned to hatch any chicks right now, as I was happy with my current flock.

my question: Now that he’s passed, can I give the eggs I’ve been gathering back to the broody hens? I’m sure they’re not all fertilized, but a couple may be.

Open to advice on this. He was such a gentle rooster I’d planned to breed offspring before I lost him. It just happened a lot sooner than I’d expected. TIA

My sweet little bantam rooster died today. I don’t know why- I just found him under the porch. We did have a cold spell but he’s lived through worse through the winter and the hens seem fine.

I have two hens that are broody since last Thursday. I hadn’t planned to hatch any chicks right now, as I was happy with my current flock.

my question: Now that he’s passed, can I give the eggs I’ve been gathering back to the broody hens? I’m sure they’re not all fertilized, but a couple may be.

Open to advice on this. He was such a gentle rooster I’d planned to breed offspring before I lost him. It just happened a lot sooner than I’d expected. TIA
We put eggs in an incubator that were 3 weeks old and they are all developing normally. Give it a shot... candle after 3 days and toss the ones with no development.

We put eggs in an incubator that were 3 weeks old and they are all developing normally. Give it a shot... candle after 3 days and toss the ones with no development.
Thank you. Most of the eggs were gathered within the last week, and have been refrigerated. I’m also guessing any eggs tomorrow may be fertile?

as for candling, do I need a specific light or device for that? I really hadn’t planned to hatch for a couple years, so I’m scrambling to learn on the fly

I’m sorry you lost your rooster! It can be so sad when we become attached to them, and it‘s hard not to (at least for me).

I’m in western Wyoming. I did end up having 6 of the eggs hatch, so I now have some cute little chicks being cared for my two attentive hens. I have no idea how many will be roosters though- which might lead to more hard decisions when I know. Reminder to self: don’t make rash decisions when you’re feeling emotional!

Back
Top Bottom