Reusable Egg Cartons that AREN'T Made of Plastic?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gnarled Carrots, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Gnarled Carrots

Gnarled Carrots Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2016
    Washington
    I've been re-using egg cartons for ages. I even have friends who keep all of theirs and give them to me in bulk whenever I see them. However, I'm getting pretty tired of re-using old egg cartons. I live in Washington where it rains all the time. Inevitably the egg cartons eventually get wet or just plain too dirty to continue using.

I've been looking into re-usable egg cartons and have mixed feelings about them. Re-usable egg cartons are great. You can find them in cooking and camping sections. However, they're ALWAYS plastic. As much as plastic is a necessity on a lot of farms, I'm not particularly fond of it. Even "BPA free" plastics contain BPS, which new research shows is just as harmful as traditional plastics.

So, does anyone know of any re-usable egg cartons that AREN'T plastic?

Wood? Metal? Wire? Anything???

2. Pendragonz

Pendragonz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    Go to the website egg cartons dot com. They have the best selection of egg cartons that I've found. I understand what you're saying about the fiber/cardboard type ones. How about the styrofoam ones? Check them out.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Re-use only goes so far......at least the 'paper' ones can be composted.

I have never heard of a wooden or metal egg carton.....
    ......the hard surfaces would make transport risky, the hard plastic 're-usable' ones might too.
    Some metals can also leach toxins, if that's your main concern.

Depending on how many customers you have and how you 'deliver' the eggs.....
    .....maybe let them provide their own receptacles, 2 of them so you can trade off empty for full.

4. Jenna14Chicken

Jenna14Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    Agree, never heard of metal,wood,or wire cartons but they seem risky. I use foam cartons which you can get off almost any egg carton store.

5. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I tell my egg consumers to write their name on two or three cartons. Them cartons are theirs till they get stained or dirty, then replaced. I use the fiber cartons, awe natural. GC

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by