Revenge of the Bantys...*sigh* ELLO!! HELP US!!!

MyPerfectChicken

Songster
12 Years
Jul 19, 2007
PA
We have EEs and banty silkies and cochins that are about 3-3 and a half weeks. We moved them about a week (?) ago, to the co-op, they are next to our 7 week olds and can see each other through some plastic netting, and so far the 7 weekers don't really care for them.

I went out this morning to let our pullets out, after checking for more eggs I went back into the other half of the coop where we have our 3 and 7 week olds.

I glanced into the chickies (3wks) spot and seen Thank-You getting pecked by the banties! I told my mom and sister I hadn't checked if the other were OK. So, my sister went back out.... and came back with Cupcake... ((both of them are EEs))

They both have been picked raw around the neck area and Cupcake has a raw spot on her wing... they are both very sleepy… Cupcake hasn’t eaten anything yet and Thank-You ate a bit.
hmm.png

They came together, were brooded together, and slept together. What's going on?? and is there anything we can do to help them?? We have Neosporin on them now....

If pictures are needed- whether for where they are in the coop or the injuries, I can get some, just ask!

Last edited:
HELP!!!!! Cupcake is trying to peck her neck!! What can we do?!

Edited to add- Ok she stopped and she's trying to sleep.... but if she starts it up again?

Edited to add 2- We think its Ella (grey silkie) that has been picking on them... we brought in a 3rd.

Last edited:
Well... thank you so much for looking... I guess no one really knows what to do...

But don't worry, they are fine, we have them all separated in boxes and we bought liquid band aid ((which will ONLY be used for our chickens... Mom said so.
roll.png
))

Seeing as how you were attentive to see and catch this early (and glad to hear the situation did not worsen) I am glad to hear you seem to have found a good solution for dealing with it.

Hi, it really seems like they need separating to stop any more nonsense, they would be sleepy especially if they were stressed out by the attacks, it knocks the wind out of them.
Try and separate with more mesh, at least they will get time to heal and you will be able to get on with your life too.
Youve done really well. congrats

Forget the revenge of the bantys, we're talking the revenge of the silkies! We brought in another ((this one is a banty cochin)).

I read somewhere that silkies don't do good in mixed flocks, is this what it ment??

Edited- Spelling

Last edited:
I think the reason why people don't think Silkies do well in mixed flocks is for the sake of the Sikies. With vaulted skulls and puff ball heads they seem to attract pecking more then other breeds.

Sounds to me like you just have one mean Silkie(s). I had a mean guy a few years ago. He attacked everyone and even killed another bird that he was raised with. We didn't keep him. Sometimes birds are like that, just viscous. Put the Silkie in solitary and see if you are seeing anyone getting picked on and you'll know your culprit.

You may also want to check your protein levels. Feather picking can be a sign of lack of protein. If you are feeding scratch, either cut back on it on remove it from their diet to ensure they are eating enough of their feed.

Back
Top Bottom