Review of Dorkings as a table bird *update: pics and weight of our last Dorking rooster*

I have been wondering where you guys are getting enough Dorkings to be able to butcher them, we would love to have some but have never been able to get our hands on any more than just one rooster, which my husband wound up shooting because he attacked my daughter. She has a nasty scar two inches under her eye from that rooster. :( I saw someone else mention an aggressive Dorking roo, are they a breed that has a tendency towards aggression?

I had a few that were a bit nasty and a few that were pretty sweet. I think it just depends on the roo. Our last one attacked my daughter, but I really think he was just being a good rooster and protecting his ladies. My daughter came running out of the house, hair all wild, no shirt (she's 2) and I truly just don't think he recognized her. He still had to go to the chopping block because of this - but it wasn't his nature to be nasty.

I had extra's to butcher because I found a lovely lady who ordered a hatch from Sandhill hatchery - and then ended up getting another big hatch from someone who had Red Dorkings so she sold me all 17 from Sandhill she no longer needed. I then kept a few roosters and allowed some mamas to hatch some eggs. It's amazing how fast they will reproduce.

I kept stalking the Dorking posts and then emailing people near me to see if they had extras to sell. Worked pretty quick.

Have you ate anything else besides dorklings? I am lost on what to try. I am debating between, dorkling, buckeye, plymouth rock, and delaware. I plan to feed them feed and free range on the property. Do you have any suggestion that would not be a gamey taste as well as not all dark meat but some white as well. Thanks :)

We had a few Dorkings that were crosses, and the meat was definitely lighter. I have not eaten any other heritage breeds - just cornish cross, dorking crosses, and pure dorkings. The breast of the Dorking is quite large, and the meat is very white. Not all of the meat is dark meat, however, what is dark is very dark.

I have heard good things about buckeye and delaware, but I cannot speak about them personally. I have also heard good things about Dark Cornish - which I hope to try some day just for comparison.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom