Review of Dorkings as a table bird *update: pics and weight of our last Dorking rooster*

And here was dinner last night - after resting the bird for a few days my husband surprised me and cooked it. He used an enameled cast iron dutch oven, cut up a bunch of veggies and added a few cups of water - cooked it in the oven for an hour and a half. He didn't brine it like we usually do, because it was a surprise and my husband didn't realize to brine first.

This was a very active rooster and you could taste that in the legs; really dark and a little chewy. I think we should have cooked him a little slower in a crock pot since he was over 7 months old and very muscular, and brining for a few hours definitely would have helped tenderize the meat. But great tasting as usual - soooo different from a super market bird and my husband did such a great job making it look so beautiful. Nothing says comfort food like coming home to a roasted bird with mashed potatoes and gravy. I'm a lucky gal!

The meat itself does look quite a bit different - and it has a really full flavor, not necessarily 'gamey' but also not like the chicken you buy in a store. We were impressed.

Hey, I have to visit you sometime. I live in Muskegon!
lol.png

We live in Jackson, but I'm from and family still lives in Muskegon - don't they have the best farmers market there? I'll bet weve even brushed elbows in it before
smile.png

Quote:
Nice reading your blog. I always like to read people's real commentaries on the meat of the birds. I am flipping back and forth about getting some dorkings.

Back
Top Bottom