Review of Dorkings as a table bird *update: pics and weight of our last Dorking rooster*

The meat itself does look quite a bit different - and it has a really full flavor, not necessarily 'gamey' but also not like the chicken you buy in a store. We were impressed.

Hey, I have to visit you sometime. I live in Muskegon!
lol.png

We live in Jackson, but I'm from and family still lives in Muskegon - don't they have the best farmers market there? I'll bet weve even brushed elbows in it before
smile.png

Quote:
Nice reading your blog. I always like to read people's real commentaries on the meat of the birds. I am flipping back and forth about getting some dorkings.

Quote:
Probably did! I used to go there more often but now I work long hours plus the farm...the farmers market should stay open till 9pm!!!!
he.gif

Quote:
Thanks for the report! I'd be curious to know what the breast meat was like compared to others? I've heard Dorkings were bred for their large, white breast in particular. But in my experience darkness or lightness of the meat per se has more to do with how active the muscles were than genetics, although it's true that genetics partially determine how active the bird is. The leg meat of all of my duals is dark, especially the young males, because they are able to run around a lot. But the breast of all the breeds is whiter because they don't do a lot of flying. I'd imagine Dorkings, heavy as they are, would indeed tend to have very light breast meat, even if the legs are dark, and I know the standard does call for a relatively large breast. Personally, I LOVE the kind of dark meat you describe! That's where the flavor is. And I'm glad to hear they were so delicious! (of course, as we all know, any real chicken tastes great compared to Cornish X). Congrats! I don't have any dorkings, but they are definitely one of the breeds I fantasize about...

Back
Top Bottom