Review of Dorkings as a table bird *update: pics and weight of our last Dorking rooster*

Did you ever by chance get photos of the whole carcass, uncut, before eating/cutting/cooking it?

I've always considered getting Dorkings either from show lines or lines that meet or exceed the SOP weight. How were yours, weight wise?

I did not. And I am mad at myself for not. I did weigh one of the carcasses at about 4.5 pounds - but he was not one of the big roosters and he was only about 4 months old. We had sort of a strange way of deciding who was dinner: I knew I wanted to keep the 2 largest, usually the largest would be dinner... Also the first few to go were the trouble makers, they werent really of a large size, but terrorizing the hens... Ideally the 2 roos I have would be perfect butcher right now - they are 6 months old, and very large. But I need them for makin' babies in spring. I will have a more accurate answer to the weight and dress with this next batch of hatchlings in spring. I do wish I kept a better record though for reference.

We had two roosters remaining and they started fighting like crazy. I had plans of keeping them both but it would be too hard to keep them separate and still live a decent life. We processed our silver grey rooster two nights ago. He was 7 months old. Quite large, the second largest out of my entire group of 18 I received. The dressed carcass weighed 71 ounces - so about 4 and 1/2 pounds. Here are some pics - I really thought he would have more breast meat... Ill have to report after the weekend about taste since he was much older than the others we processed before.

Your dorking is not full growth. I heard folks from England cross DC x dorking to produce faster growth rate and better taste.

I am very interested in Dorkings now that is one amazing looking bird. I wonder if crossing the Dorkings over other hens would create a good table bird as well. My mind is just swimming with the possibilities.

This guy was a 20 week old Barred Plymouth Rock. He was a great hen protector, but he wouldn't stop attacking the kids. He dressed at around 4 1/2 lbs. It was the pictures from the Dorking that made me post this. His dark meat was ridiculously good; looked just like that picture of the Dorking. It reminded me of rich turkey dark meat without all the tendons. Still a skinny breast, but amazing.

Last edited:
  • jgervais Will you be selling hatching eggs this year? I love the colorings of your rooster and I would like to get some Dorkings this year but boy you are right it's hard to find them

• jgervais Will you be selling hatching eggs this year? I love the colorings of your rooster and I would like to get some Dorkings this year but boy you are right it's hard to find them

We're thinking about it - this is my first chicken adventure, so I'm not sure how things will go. The plan was to have a sustainable flock for table birds, but if all goes well I was going to sell some chicks as well.

Back
Top Bottom