Review of Dorkings as a table bird *update: pics and weight of our last Dorking rooster*

I have a broody Dorking hen! Yeh! I put 9 eggs under her and hoping for the best. My first hatching of this whole dorking project, ohhhh what lessons will I learn this time around?

Thanks for all the updates on your dorkings. I took the plunge this spring and I am getting 10 rose comb white dorkings from yellowhouse farm. I can't wait to get them.

Here is a photo of the Dorking x Dark Cornish cross I got & have permission to post from Backyardchicken member "cluckingnuts" that live in UK. All the 3 white chickens at front are Dorking cross. These are 7th generation with 4 toes.

Last edited:
I am so glad you posted this! He looks great!!

And here was dinner last night - after resting the bird for a few days my husband surprised me and cooked it. He used an enameled cast iron dutch oven, cut up a bunch of veggies and added a few cups of water - cooked it in the oven for an hour and a half. He didn't brine it like we usually do, because it was a surprise and my husband didn't realize to brine first.

This was a very active rooster and you could taste that in the legs; really dark and a little chewy. I think we should have cooked him a little slower in a crock pot since he was over 7 months old and very muscular, and brining for a few hours definitely would have helped tenderize the meat. But great tasting as usual - soooo different from a super market bird and my husband did such a great job making it look so beautiful. Nothing says comfort food like coming home to a roasted bird with mashed potatoes and gravy. I'm a lucky gal!

Thanks for the cross pic! interesting looking birds. My broody is sitting on a pile of eggs, but im not exactly sure which eggs... might be some orpington crosses or some barred rock crosses in there! im excited

Sounds like some very good meat crosses to me.

Thanks for the cross pic! interesting looking birds. My broody is sitting on a pile of eggs, but im not exactly sure which eggs... might be some orpington crosses or some barred rock crosses in there! im excited

fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom