Rhode Island red laying green egg??

No way did a 5 week old chick lay an egg so I would have to agree that one of your "road island reds" is actually an Americana (easter egger). As far as I know RIRs only lay brown eggs. Definately look for face fluff as a sign you actually have an Americana as they are bearded. Even if neither year old hens are bearded, one of them had to have layed the green egg which rules out RIR and strongly implicates Amaricana as the breed.
Was it a bright pastel green or a really pale almost white green? And was it bluish green or green green?

No way did a 5 week old chick lay an egg so I would have to agree that one of your "road island reds" is actually an Americana (easter egger). As far as I know RIRs only lay brown eggs. Definately look for face fluff as a sign you actually have an Americana as they are bearded. Even if neither year old hens are bearded, one of them had to have layed the green egg which rules out RIR and strongly implicates Amaricana as the breed.
Was it a bright pastel green or a really pale almost white green? And was it bluish green or green green?

I put up pictures. Can you tell anything by them?

You are lucky, I bought 2 "americaunas" because they were supposed to lay green or blue eggs....they laid a brown and a white egg instead
sad.png
I would ahve been ecstatic to get a green egg!

You are lucky, I bought 2 "americaunas" because they were supposed to lay green or blue eggs....they laid a brown and a white egg instead
sad.png
I would ahve been ecstatic to get a green egg!

I'm not upset about the green egg, just a bit confused :)

I am not at home to look at my RIR, but I don't think that she has dark flecks in her feathers or the dark tail feathers like the hen on the right has. She is very much just a ginger red color all over if I remember correctly. My Ameraucana(Probably EE actually but whatever) has dark tail feathers like that but she is yellowish orange and red. Maybe the one on the right was an EE/Ameraucana RIR cross?

Agreed with the post that said the one on the left was the green egg layer. Easter eggers generally have pea combs, so I'd say she's a red Easter egger, but somehow she didn't get the beard. When I said bearded, I meant just that: the chickens have beards. You would definitely notice if she had one; most Easter eggers have pea combs and beards. Since yours doesn't have a beard, she's probably an Easter egger crossed with another type of chicken that doesn't typically have a beard, very possibly an actual Rhode Island red, New Hampshire red, or production red of some kind. It's also possible that the person you got them from didn't realize she was an Easter egger and was just going by red chicken = Rhode Island red. I know a lot of people who refer to barred chickens as Dominickers regardless of their breed, and I'm sure it happens with Rhode Island reds as well.
We have 2 rhode island reds that are 1 year old each. We also have an americuana, olive egger, and a silver laced wyandotte, all of which are 5 weeks old. We got the rhode island reds yesterday, today they both layed and egg. One was brown, and the other green. Is it normal for a rhode island red to lay a green egg? I highly doubt that one of our 5 week old chicks would lay an egg.

Back
Top Bottom