Rhode Island red laying green egg??

Here's a bearded bird (gold brabanter rooster) just so you can see what it looks like. You would definitely know if your chickens were bearded.
big_smile.png

I just gotta say, this thread made my day. I would have been just as confused as you if my "Rhode Island Red" laid a green egg! At least now that the mystery is solved, you can sit back and enjoy having a bonus Easter Egger! XD

My Rhode Island Red started laying green eggs, I can tell it's not my Ameraucana because the color of the eggs are different, the RIR is laying a more "army" green egg. She also started laying later than the other 3 in my flock.

I’m not new to raising chickens. Grew up on a farm as a kid with about 2 dozen chickens that all laid brown eggs.
Haven’t been able to keep chickens for a long time due to the city i live in not allowing livestock in a residential area. However the city changed the ordinance this year allowing 6 hens with no roosters.
In the photos from left to right (showing all the characteristics of the breeds they were purchased under) New Hampshire, Sapphire Olive Egger, Black Sex Link and Golden Laced Wyandotte.
The New Hampshire was the oldest as a chick by at least a couple of weeks.
The first egg that was laid was green so I assumed to my surprise the olive egger started laying first but never saw her entering the coop to lay as they free range in the backyard. So I started monitoring who was going into the coop and what color egg was left. To my surprise it was the New Hampshire that was laying the green eggs. Very confusing but I was excited at the possibility of having 2 hens laying green eggs
A week later the Sex Link started laying who followed the rule and layed light brown eggs. Then a week later the the Olive Egger started laying and to my disappointment she laid brown eggs the same color as the Sex Link.
The Wyandotte hasn’t started laying yet as she was the youngest but if she starts laying blue eggs I’m going to be totally confused.
As you see in the egg photos the top 3 green eggs are from the New Hampshire, the 2 brown eggs on the right are from the Black Sex Link and the single brown egg on the left is from the Olive Egger.
From my online research to include postings in this forum all green eggs have to have a blue shell inside but as you can see these are white. Again, breaking the rule. The open shell photo is not photoshopped. Don’t even know how to photoshop.
So if anyone can explain further why I also have the same issue with egg color from the wrong chicken I would love to hear it.
In the mean time, I’m just going to chalk it up to when it comes to chicken breeds the rules are just guidelines in what to expect and not written in stone and that there’s always an exception to the rules.

Attachments

• IMG_0693.jpeg
    IMG_0693.jpeg
    766.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0687.jpeg
    IMG_0687.jpeg
    711.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0691.jpeg
    IMG_0691.jpeg
    777.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0688.jpeg
    IMG_0688.jpeg
    876.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0694.jpeg
    IMG_0694.jpeg
    429.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0695.jpeg
    IMG_0695.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 5
Pictures:

We have 2 rhode island reds that are 1 year old each. We also have an americuana, olive egger, and a silver laced wyandotte, all of which are 5 weeks old. We got the rhode island reds yesterday, today they both layed and egg. One was brown, and the other green. Is it normal for a rhode island red to lay a green egg? I highly doubt that one of our 5 week old chicks would lay an egg.

I’m not new to raising chickens. Grew up on a farm as a kid with about 2 dozen chickens that all laid brown eggs.
Haven’t been able to keep chickens for a long time due to the city i live in not allowing livestock in a residential area. However the city changed the ordinance this year allowing 6 hens with no roosters.
In the photos from left to right (showing all the characteristics of the breeds they were purchased under) New Hampshire, Sapphire Olive Egger, Black Sex Link and Golden Laced Wyandotte.
The New Hampshire was the oldest as a chick by at least a couple of weeks.
The first egg that was laid was green so I assumed to my surprise the olive egger started laying first but never saw her entering the coop to lay as they free range in the backyard. So I started monitoring who was going into the coop and what color egg was left. To my surprise it was the New Hampshire that was laying the green eggs. Very confusing but I was excited at the possibility of having 2 hens laying green eggs
A week later the Sex Link started laying who followed the rule and layed light brown eggs. Then a week later the the Olive Egger started laying and to my disappointment she laid brown eggs the same color as the Sex Link.
The Wyandotte hasn’t started laying yet as she was the youngest but if she starts laying blue eggs I’m going to be totally confused.
As you see in the egg photos the top 3 green eggs are from the New Hampshire, the 2 brown eggs on the right are from the Black Sex Link and the single brown egg on the left is from the Olive Egger.
From my online research to include postings in this forum all green eggs have to have a blue shell inside but as you can see these are white. Again, breaking the rule. The open shell photo is not photoshopped. Don’t even know how to photoshop.
So if anyone can explain further why I also have the same issue with egg color from the wrong chicken I would love to hear it.
In the mean time, I’m just going to chalk it up to when it comes to chicken breeds the rules are just guidelines in what to expect and not written in stone and that there’s always an exception to the rules.
A followup on my previous post of why my New Hampshire is laying green eggs:

After making the post, I did some more research on New Hampshires and I noticed that all the ones in photos had red earlobes but mine has white earlobes.
While searching under chicken breeds that have white earlobes I came across a new breed from Murry-McMurray Hatcheries where Dr. T Whiting genetically crossed White Leghorn that lays white eggs with Ameraucana that lay blue eggs. The 2 breeds are the Whiting True Green or Whiting True Blue where the color of the egg is constant.
If it’s a Whiting True Green the eggs are always green and if it’s a Whiting True Blue the eggs are always blue.
The majority of the True Green looks exactly like a Rhode Island Red or a New Hampshire. The give away is the large Leghorn single comb and the white earlobes to include the smaller size of the hen. My girl is smaller and lighter in weight than the others which is a characteristic of the True Green and True Blue. 4 to 7 lbs.
This also kind of explains the egg shell inside being white from the Leghorn gene. There may be a slight blue coating from the Ameraucana but it’s not visible
With further research on my Olive Egger, I found that with a first generation Olive Egger you’re guaranteed to get green eggs, 2nd generation a 50/50 ratio of green to brown eggs and by the 3rd generation you’re almost guaranteed to get brown eggs as the brown shell gene becomes more dominant.
So as I sit here with egg on my face for stressing there are apparent exceptions to the rules it really boils down to knowing for sure what you have. In my case it was the seller didn’t know what they had when they sold me a Whiting True Green as a New Hampshire. Anyway with the broader researching I was able to answer my own question of why my hen is laying green eggs.

Back
Top Bottom