Rhode Island Red or Buff Orpington

People try different breeds, over time. The have great experiences and some not so great experiences. Much of the time, the outcome depends as much on the source of the birds, frankly, as to just how true to the breed and how true to the behavior associated with that breed the birds turn out.

As time goes by, we find, as humans with preferences of our own, that some breeds just "fit" us better. Much of it is subjective. We come to know a breed, feel comfortable with it, and sometimes adopt a breed as a reflection of our own lifestyle and personality.

An Orp will often be more laid back. A Red, a true bred Red, is actually a delightful, calm and friendly bird. But, these attributes may NOT turn out to be true with each situation, especially if one buys the chicks at feedstore reseller of hatchery stock. One simply has no way of knowing the temperament of the parent stock. It can be a roll of the dice.

An Orp from a hatchery source may end up a horrid layer and a big consumer of feed. A so-called red from a hatchery may turn out to be a prolific layer, but be flighty and ill tempered. It can range all over the map. These and a dozen other reasons make it difficult to make sweeping statements and make recommendations. Hope you understand.

Try some of each. That's the very best way. You may find you eventually one suits you much more than the other. Or, you may find you prefer neither of them.
I was looking for information on breeds and ran across this. I bought all my chicks and ducks so far from the feed store in thoughts I knew I’d give them a good home etc. etc. However, next go around I sadly probably won’t. I first bought 6 barred rocks, three what I believe are buff orphs and three supposed RIR’s. The “yellow” were supposed to be most docile. The reds in middle and not friendly the blacks per a lady in the store shopping that has chickens. We have a barred rock that we truly couldn’t love more. She’s a joy to our family. The barred rocks I bought are also the most friendly and curious, the buffs are jerks and it takes all I have to not re home the reds, but trying to give them a chance. The more I read though I’m wondering if the reds in fact are making the buffs jerks. One buff may actually be a roo too....As far as I’m concerned all the reds may be. We just added two Easter Eggers and I’m not sure the reds will Ever WELCOME them or any others so not sure what to do. Also have two small kids so I hope if we keep them they don’t continue to or become aggressive to us.

I was looking for information on breeds and ran across this. I bought all my chicks and ducks so far from the feed store in thoughts I knew I’d give them a good home etc. etc. However, next go around I sadly probably won’t. I first bought 6 barred rocks, three what I believe are buff orphs and three supposed RIR’s. The “yellow” were supposed to be most docile. The reds in middle and not friendly the blacks per a lady in the store shopping that has chickens. We have a barred rock that we truly couldn’t love more. She’s a joy to our family. The barred rocks I bought are also the most friendly and curious, the buffs are jerks and it takes all I have to not re home the reds, but trying to give them a chance. The more I read though I’m wondering if the reds in fact are making the buffs jerks. One buff may actually be a roo too....As far as I’m concerned all the reds may be. We just added two Easter Eggers and I’m not sure the reds will Ever WELCOME them or any others so not sure what to do. Also have two small kids so I hope if we keep them they don’t continue to or become aggressive to us.
My barred rocks are sweeties and I’m so glad I got them.
But I got a big mixed flock based on what the breeds should be. I wanted good layers that were friendly. I can’t say I like my buff and lavender orps, black Australorps , and Wyandotte’s. Im making a list of who I’d get rid of and my buff is making the top of the list.

RIR roosters can be a little aggressive (in case the chicks were sexed wrong), and BOs can be escape artists (mine are), so they all have pros and cons. I've got both, and they're great. I don't know.

My barred rocks are sweeties and I’m so glad I got them.
But I got a big mixed flock based on what the breeds should be. I wanted good layers that were friendly. I can’t say I like my buff and lavender orps, black Australorps , and Wyandotte’s. Im making a list of who I’d get rid of and my buff is making the top of the list.
Really!? Mine aren’t my favorite but the reds top my s*** list currently! LOVE the Easter Eggers too!

If you want to know their genders, post photos.

I actually really like my Buff Orps.
I got my first one about 7 years ago.
After he died I decided I wanted more.
I've had BO ever since.
Out of all the buffs I've had, only two were ever a bit mean - two of my current flock.
All the buffs (especially the cockerels) cuddle up to me.

I think BO are a great breed - good layers too, and good mothers - but some people seem to get all the bad ones in one flock.

Are yours mean?
Not that I can tell. They are really anti-social compared to all of my other chickens. Everyone else has personality and always comes running to me when I call instead of away from me. I know I won’t have all lap chickens, but flighty was not what I expected.

Back
Top Bottom