Rhode island red questions

pinkfeather

Songster
12 Years
Dec 3, 2007
CT
Hey eveyone!

I'm hatching some rc rir (rosecomb rhode island red) bantam eggs that I was given and I have a few questions about the breed. I heard that the rir roosters are mean, but are the bantam rir roosters the same? Also, how big are the bantam Rhode Island reds? Anywhere around the size of rock bantams? And how are the personalities of the hens (sweet, docile, flighty, etc.)?

Thanks!

I don't know the personalities of Bantams but i have seen the at shows and they are as large as BR bantams. The RIR's I have are very nice standards and so far I have never had a meanie in Roos. All have been very good roosters. Hope yours turn out nice.

It may be a fluke, but a friend of mine has RIR and hers are nasty little buggers, her roo tore up her 3mo puppy. But i also know of people that have very docile ones too. I think it depends on the individal bird.
idunno.gif

I have had standard sized rir, and the hens will let you pick them right up. But standard rir roos are vicious. I have a friend who has bantam rosecombed rir and the hens and roos are nice.

I raise about 300 Reds Bantams a year & just like any other breed some males are aggressive, some are docile & others are somewhere in between.

I have 1 RIR Roo and 4 hens, they are all sweet. Two of the hens will grab me by the pants leg but I believe its because they want attention. The Roo has never been mean.

Kelly
-----------------------
5 RIR's and 2 mutts

Hey,

Thanks for the answers everyone! Rir's sure do seem sweet enough. I guess I'll just be waiting for my eggs to hatch now (if I don't kill them all first!). I've got a lot of hatchings going on! 1 on the 4th (3 seramas under a broody), 1 on the 12th (5 oeg bantams under a broody), and 1 on the 13th (3 oeg bantams and 11 rc rir bantams in the bator)!
fl.gif
jumpy.gif
woot.gif
Oh, and I have a few chickens that love to peck at my pants (and take some skin with it!). I don't know why they do that.

Back
Top Bottom