1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rhode Island Red Rooster with white feathers in the wings is this O.K?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by madaboutchooks, May 26, 2011.

1. madaboutchooks

madaboutchooks Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    G'day,
    Can anyone help me with this question ?
    My Rhode Island rooster is a prime example but when he extends his wings he has a white feather or 2 in each wing tip that is not obvious unless he stretches.
    Is this acceptable for a show quality bird, is this common in this breed ? I also have a pullet that has some black in the back of the neck, both have black in the tail.
    I would be grateful and appriciate your advice and knowledge !
    Greetings from Down under !

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Not seeing a picture of the birds it would be hard to say for sure but from my experience in Rhode Island Reds some birds will get a stray White feather. ( if you are going to show them pull the White feathers out)

As for the black in the neck of the hen that is or to a point. It should look like a small necklace around the back or her neck.

Black tails is a good thing.

Here is a link with a ton of information on the Rhode Island Red https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=407294

Chris

3. madaboutchooks

madaboutchooks Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Thank you Chris,
    I appriciate your advice, I am new to this site and have no idea of how to add photos, I will do my best and hopefully you can tell me what you think.
    I have kept the best hen from my old stock ( 16 months old ) and 1 pullet and 1 cockeral ( the best 2 of last years hatch ), I will breed from these over the next 2 years and see how I go. Thank you for the link I am having a great time reading through it.
    I hope to impress you with my Jerry, Elaine and Anne shirley.

Kind regards
    Sophie

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by