Rhode Island Red Rooster with white feathers in the wings is this O.K?

madaboutchooks

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 8, 2011
G'day,
Can anyone help me with this question ?
My Rhode Island rooster is a prime example but when he extends his wings he has a white feather or 2 in each wing tip that is not obvious unless he stretches.
Is this acceptable for a show quality bird, is this common in this breed ? I also have a pullet that has some black in the back of the neck, both have black in the tail.
I would be grateful and appriciate your advice and knowledge !
Greetings from Down under !

Quote:
Not seeing a picture of the birds it would be hard to say for sure but from my experience in Rhode Island Reds some birds will get a stray White feather. ( if you are going to show them pull the White feathers out)

As for the black in the neck of the hen that is or to a point. It should look like a small necklace around the back or her neck.

Black tails is a good thing.

Here is a link with a ton of information on the Rhode Island Red https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=407294

Chris

Thank you Chris,
I appriciate your advice, I am new to this site and have no idea of how to add photos, I will do my best and hopefully you can tell me what you think.
I have kept the best hen from my old stock ( 16 months old ) and 1 pullet and 1 cockeral ( the best 2 of last years hatch ), I will breed from these over the next 2 years and see how I go. Thank you for the link I am having a great time reading through it.
I hope to impress you with my Jerry, Elaine and Anne shirley.

Kind regards
Sophie

Back
Top Bottom