Rhode Island Red Thread!

Pics
Thanks. At about 14 weeks now she still doesn't have much of a comb and wattles. Her feathers look like they're starting to lay a bit nicer now, though all 4 of my girls are molting right now so they all look a bit disheveled. But I'm pretty confident Phillie is a she. Still going to keep my fingers crossed just in case.
One of mine looked like a hunchback for several weeks, it seemed her feathers were to big for her body for a while. She's pretty now. Mine did have comb and waddles much earlier than 14 weeks though.

I took some new pics, We got the girls on May 4th and I think they were around a week so I'm going to guess 13-14 weeks. Here's my Phillie girl today. She's starting to come around I think. She's molting a bit right now.

Her saddle feathers still seem to be on the more rounded side.

still little to no comb and wattles

Then she squats down like this and I think "definitely a hen"

Last edited:
Hello! :) I picked up some chickens yesterday and these 2 were in the mix. She said she had a lot of reds and asked if I wanted one, so I bought one thinking I'd just eat the eggs from it but then she threw a 2nd in free b/c she says she has too many mouths to feed. She insisted both were hens, but now that I got them home and took them out, I seriously doubt it. The 1 was already boxed up so I couldn't see it for comparason at her house. I thought the comb & wattle looked pretty big and I asked her about it, but she said that they get big like that on her girls, too, not just the boys. What do you guys think? I think it's kinda obvious I have 1 of each. And she said she always calls them "red chicken" when she calls them and doesn't know what breed they actually are. Just that they're red chickens. So...any help, guys? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom