Rhode Island Red Thread!

Pics
Okay. I'll get better free standing pics of them in the next couple of days. Right now I have them seperated so they A) are quarantened from my flock B) have time to settle and get used to the new surroundings, my kids, new smells, new birds, new environment, etc... and C) then as a bonus I can also see who lays! LMBO! Naturally I wanted 2 hens for egg production, but if it's a roo, I'll either sell the eggs and let people know they're red mixes or may just hatch 'em out myself so I have some more layers for the spring/summer. Or I'll just eat him. Either way. Just b/c he may be a rooster doesn't mean he isn't useful.
2665.png

And is production red the name of a breed or is it a generic name like easter egger is a generic name for anything that lays a colored egg, rather than the name of a breed. Is a production red a mix?

RSL is short hand for red sex link. A production red is a red bird that hatcheries sell under various names. It isn't a breed. It's just a productive red bird. Hatcheries don't really sell any breed that is bred to the standard. They specialize in inexpensive, available, usually healthy, productive birds.

How bright should a RIR's comb be? We have a BR and two SLW and the RIR's comb is not as bright as theirs. Her wattle is brighter red than her comb.

I really think that the comb itself doesn't get a bright red until they are finally ready to lay.

The comb can stay pretty dark until they start "the change"

Also, I really don't think that you should start looking for RIR eggs at 15 weeks. If you have hatchery birds, I would think you should start looking no earlier than 19 weeks of age. If they are fancier breeder birds (so, better personality, more years of laying, and simply very pretty) they might not start laying until 6 months old, or even much older.

Back
Top Bottom