Rhode Island Red Thread!

Pics
Got my first two eggs from my new RIR chickens yesterday and today. They're 18 weeks old this week. Not sure if it was the same hen or two of them are laying now. We ordered 25 from Ideal last January 15th.

How early do RIR red's start trying to crow? pretty sure I have a couple that are but we aren't quite sure how old they really are should be under 2 weeks and I have seen Rocky trying to but not getting anything out was pretty darn cute, bullwinkle hasn't even tried, but my friend reported someone crowing and the older chicks are supposedly all pullets.

Grats Pfields that's always exciting

Hmm ,okay now gotta figure out then as mine are only a 7-10 days old if we have a Roo then disguised as a pullet thanks.

none of them has started with those yet, startings of them are appearing but nothing distinctive yet but the older ones were supposedly pullets, where the 7-10 day old RIR's from feathers coming in I think I have 2 males and 2 females as first feathers coming on on the wings 2 are a lot flashier than the other 2 and have seen one go through the motions of crowing but not getting any sound out really and that was just a couple of days before friend said one of em woke her up crowing lol. might have to go spend the night out there as I know more about chickens than she does lol

only experience I have is with RIR and Barred rock and they get along fine even with a 10 week or so difference in ages

Appears my RIR and SLW chicks get along just fine.

GeoJerry

Grats at least at that age they are a lot easier to introduce to each other, as we brooded chicks without older hens to start are flock as they grow they adapt well when introducing new members

it's a good thing my RIR's are still in a separate grow out pen though as I am sure I have 2 baby roosters in there and 2 hens , we just introduced an older rooster to our barred rocks today that we got and the little RIR dominate baby wasn't to pleased about that

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom