Rhode Island Red Thread!

Pics
microchick, the roos will be flashier even when their first feathers come in. Haven't seen anyone getting their combs in in mine but both the roos from about a week old are going through the motions of crowing even though they aren't getting any sound out yet

The way I figure is June 1st should be the day to be there or May 31 if they want to get the best deal. I've found with my young flock is that there is always the exception to the rule when it comes to early feathering and wattles. There is one in our flock now that has the body of a hen but the comb and wattles of a roo. So what will it do first? Crow or lay an egg? If I scape up some patience maybe they will be easier to sex in another week. I hope.....

Here are some pics of fire rose!

Beautiful bird.

I went back to Orschelins today. They had 5 of the young RIRs left. I lifted the lid and did a quick comb exam. 5 obvious boys.
th.gif
Oh well. I'm going next weekend to look at some pullets. Maybe I will get lucky and see some RIRs in the bunch. Thanks for your help guys.

Just curious...Are RIR chicks more prone to pasty butt? See, I have 2 silver-laced wyandottes (no pasty butt) and 2 RIR (both have pasty butt). I used warm water and to clean poop. Is there anything else I could do to prevent pasty bottom. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom