Rhode Island Red Thread!

Pics
welcome Jessotr, they are fun mine were actually raised by a barred rock pullet I had from a couple of days old, they mix well in a flock so far found out don't put meat chickens in your flock though unless you like chaos.

my small flock consists of:
4 RIR
5 barred rocks
1 americuana
2 ducks
6 meat birds

the RIR's have been in coop with them since they were a couple of days old and started free ranging with the others at 3 weeks old when pullet decided to quit being so motherly, we made them a small covered wire pen to sleep in when the pullet quit mothering them that we had to use for about a week to ensure they got their feed as the meat chicks are always hungry and don't allow anyone they can bully to eat.

Today is the first day it has really rained since my 4 moved outside. 3 are currently under the shed, which is probably where they would have been anyway. One is in my house, being carried around by my daughter as if it's a new puppy. It just happened to be with her when it started raining, and I didn't make her take it back to the rest of them.

On that note, when will these guys get a little braver? They stay under cover pretty much all the time. If that because of their age?

Hi all here is a photo of my RIR and my Delaware's they get along good.
I got them for our local tractor supply back in March they're about 16 wks now.
I am excited to get my first eggs soon I hope.
One of my RIR is a rooster hasn't even started to crow yet.

Today is the first day it has really rained since my 4 moved outside. 3 are currently under the shed, which is probably where they would have been anyway. One is in my house, being carried around by my daughter as if it's a new puppy. It just happened to be with her when it started raining, and I didn't make her take it back to the rest of them.

On that note, when will these guys get a little braver?
I think depends on the bird and how they were raised mine were scared first couple of times free ranging or maybe it was me lol. but they go around with the older pullets too now the started exploring n their own but stayed close to coop at 3 weeks old for about a week then got brave enough to explore farther out and now they follow the rest of the flock around the yard pretty much unless they go to the pasture at a month old

I think depends on the bird and how they were raised mine were scared first couple of times free ranging or maybe it was me lol. but they go around with the older pullets too now the started exploring n their own but stayed close to coop at 3 weeks old for about a week then got brave enough to explore farther out and now they follow the rest of the flock around the yard pretty much unless they go to the pasture at a month old
Hm. Mine are right at 6 weeks old if the feed store guy "guessed" correctly and they were "a couple" of weeks old when I got them. They've been out to explore since just after I got them, and have had the run of the yard for about 2 weeks now as well. They leave the coop and run for the shed. Sometimes they will end up in the flower bed with the 5-6' tall lilies. Occasionally under the rose bush (although I think it's getting to be tight under there) and sometimes hidden in the thick variegated vine. I've never seen them out in the middle of the (thickly treed) yard, even once without my physically picking them up and moving them there, and even then, they don't stay long.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom