Rhode Island Red Thread!

Pics
My husband and I, finally, jumped on the backyard chicken wagon! After much research and deliberation we decided to get RIR! We picked up 10, week old, RIR this morning! First timer here! My husband has had chickens in the past, but I ( being the main caretaker ) has nooooo experience!!! Yup, none! So if anybody has good information, tips, and tricks for a beginner, I'd love to hear them!!

RIR are awesome! I have the bantam sized ones.

My best advice for raising chickens is come to BackYardChickens and do a search on a topic you need help with. You'll find plenty of existing posts on stuff.

Best treat: sunflower kernels from Tractor Supply (large bag for $8). Toss a handful every morning and your chickies will follow you forever!

Make sure they have water at all times, preferably fresh every morning. I keep out a Layer feed (I prefer Purina Layena crumbles) at all times. Your eggshells will thank you. I've tried other brands and end up with soft shells from 1/3 of my girls. You could use other brands but you'll need to add oyster shells or calcium to their feed.

Any other topics, just come to BYC and post if you can't find anything in a search of the site.

Carla

My husband and I, finally, jumped on the backyard chicken wagon! After much research and deliberation we decided to get RIR! We picked up 10, week old, RIR this morning! First timer here! My husband has had chickens in the past, but I ( being the main caretaker ) has nooooo experience!!! Yup, none! So if anybody has good information, tips, and tricks for a beginner, I'd love to hear them!!
You can find a ton of information on this website.One thing I did with my chicks was I put an alarm clock radio in their brooder so that they would constantly here human voices.I also spend a lot of time with my chicks and chickens.Hold them, pet them. I dont know if you live in town or not, but I like having a rooster around too.works as a good flock protector, but I do not tolerate mean ones.If you get soft shells you could give them crushed oyster shells.Also if you want to make sure your chickens like you give them treats yougurt, mealworms, earthworms, watermelon, cantelope, lettuce, cucumbers etc.If you have a garden you can give them some fresh veggies and fruits and they will just love it. I could go on about other stuff but just read lots of stuff on BYC and you will learn a lot.

What are all your chickens names? I have 3 Isa Browns atm (Henni, Ruby an Pollyanna) and I'm getting some RIR and Australorp chicks soon and need name ideas. Thanx

You can find a ton of information on this website.One thing I did with my chicks was I put an alarm clock radio in their brooder so that they would constantly here human voices.I also spend a lot of time with my chicks and chickens.Hold them, pet them. I dont know if you live in town or not, but I like having a rooster around too.works as a good flock protector, but I do not tolerate mean ones.If you get soft shells you could give them crushed oyster shells.Also if you want to make sure your chickens like you give them treats yougurt, mealworms, earthworms, watermelon, cantelope, lettuce, cucumbers etc.If you have a garden you can give them some fresh veggies and fruits and they will just love it. I could go on about other stuff but just read lots of stuff on BYC and you will learn a lot.

My chickens LOVE grapes. They also like watermelon, tomatoes, oranges and they go crazy when I give them leftover spaghetti!!! Hahahaha it's so funny to watch them!

My chickens LOVE grapes. They also like watermelon, tomatoes, oranges and they go crazy when I give them leftover spaghetti!!! Hahahaha it's so funny to watch them!

What are all your chickens names? I have 3 Isa Browns atm (Henni, Ruby an Pollyanna) and I'm getting some RIR and Australorp chicks soon and need name ideas. Thanx
Well, my prior flocks were Red Stars: Penny, Twinkie, Henley; Australorps: BeeBee and Ms. Peeps; and Golden Buffs: Ginger, Popcorn, Jazzy, and Red.
My new bantams don't have names except for Marshmallow, a little cream and gray EEer. I am waiting until I am sure which ones are females because males have to find a new home. But some names I'm tossing around are Clover, Poppy, Pearl, Bijioux (beejoo), Cricket, Piper, Peaches, Scarlet, Whisper, and Ziva. I can't tell the RIR's apart though. Maybe once they are adults I will see markings on them.

Back
Top Bottom