Rhode Island Red vs. New Hampshire Red

Also,New Hampshires have RIR in them.

Another few differences are they weigh more,and feather faster,and mature earlier.

I have four New Hampshire Reds, well here in New Hampshire, and I can tell you they are great birds, and they lay straight though 4 degree days. Great for Northern New England backyard flocks.

Following up on my post from last spring: turns out my original three hens were not RIR, but "red sex linked," or so I was told by the person I got the NHRs from. The older girls are a much lighter, washed out red, and smaller. As it turned out, even though they are "plain Janes" in comparison, they were also much more prolific layers! in future, as much as I like the idea of a classic breed, I'd be tempted to go for the prolific "mutts" again.

Now I'm afraid there's something wrong with all 6 of the girls. This has been going on for several months now: The original girls will be 4 next spring, but even though I"d expect them to lay less now due to their age, they've totally stopped. Combs are pale, too. I'm getting one egg a day, generally skipping a day in between layings, and i know it's from one or maybe two of the NHRs. One or two of the NHRs are losing feathers, but they're not a year old yet so I presume it's too early to molt? Also, the feed level in the feeders and the level in the waterers are not going down nearly as fast as they should be. The only stressor I can think of is that there's a stubborn chipmunk (I think) that climbs through some opening in the old shed roof (my coop), through the wall of the roosting room, and out into the front room. Could that scrabbling noise passing through really be enough to cause all this in my 6 girls? Or is there some disease going on?

BTW, last spring I made the run area in front of the coop as wild bird-proof as I could. I still sometimes see a few juncos or sparrows in there, but mostly not. So, I'm thinking the chances of their catching something (illness or parasites) from wild birds is pretty limited.

NHR i agree,
highfive.gif
and my main interest is in the best eggs for my egg business, i love my NHR, but in the past i never owned them in all the years that i have been raising chickens we had comets & several other breeds & in several different states starting back in the 1960's but we do have NHR for a few years now & yes they do lay some really big eggs mostly jumbo in fact, my NHR are very sweet & basically good with other breeds & they grew fast, but our NHR roo was mean from 8 months old he came along very unexpectedly with all our female NHR chicks , but he is a mean one for sure & will try to kill people when ever he gets a chance, so he lives in a nice big pen for life , we also have 4 other roosters & they are all sweet boys 2 Aussies a splash & a blue roo , Plus 1 CW &1 SLW for the different breeds we have here , but not the NHR roo, so thats been my experience with NHR, i would not pass them over when looking for a great egg laying breed....!!!! the NHR hens are the best ever ...!!!
clap.gif
and producing well going into their 3rd year
woot.gif
thumbsup.gif
maybe some one else can tell us about the RIR breed..? & how they get along with other hens..? so temperament in general is my first question ,

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom