Rhode Island Red vs. New Hampshire Red

I'm looking to get into the chicken business. My dad was into game chickens years ago, so I have an idea about breeding programs. I was looking for the differences between a Rhode Island Red and New Hampshire and found this blog. Something was mentioned about production reds which is a cross between a RIR and a delaware. That is interesting to me. The delaware has a tendency to get broody according to the information that I found online. Once I start operations, I may be interested in a production red. I'm still looking for more information about them. Thanks.

I'm looking to get into the chicken business. My dad was into game chickens years ago, so I have an idea about breeding programs. I was looking for the differences between a Rhode Island Red and New Hampshire and found this blog. Something was mentioned about production reds which is a cross between a RIR and a delaware. That is interesting to me. The delaware has a tendency to get broody according to the information that I found online. Once I start operations, I may be interested in a production red. I'm still looking for more information about them. Thanks.
"production reds which is a cross between a RIR and a delaware" NO!! cross between a RIR and a delaware are red sex links.

Red Sex Link Chickens can be developed using various red chicken breeds for the hen, but are always crossed with a Rhode Island Red Rooster or a New Hampshire Red Rooster. These particular Red Sex Links are a cross breed utilizing the Delaware Hen and the Rhode Island Red Rooster. The result is a prolific egg laying and quality meat bird with superior production value of its respective parents' breeds.

Production Red Chickens

The Production Red Chicken Breed is a cross between the popular Rhode Island Red Chicken and the New Hampshire Red Chicken. They are bred to be a very capable and efficient egg production bird, yielding vast quantities of large brown eggs. They were developed later than the Rhode Island Red Chicken to be less of a meaty bird.

They are smaller in size than Rhode Island Reds, and have more brittle, lighter feathers. The color of the Production Red Chicken is similar to the Rhode Island Red, but they are noticeably lighter in color.

The demeanor of the birds is for the most part calm and docile. Although the Production Red Rooster can become a bit aggressive, especially in larger flocks. They are quite adaptable to a wide range of climates, and even make good winter laying birds. If you are looking for wonderful free-range egg production, the Production Red Chicken is a great option.

Rhode Island Red Chickens

The Rhode Island Red Chicken Breed boasts the title of America's most well known and popular chicken, though for many years the chicken breed was facing a critical decline in its breeding population. Thanks to many hobby hatcheries and backyard farmers the Rhode Island Red is now popular chickens among small farms and backyards today. Rhode Island Red Chicks grow to be one of the most productive and useful dual purpose breeds across the country and world today. They have prolific egg production, and they will dress nicely as a table bird.

The Rhode Island Red is also one of the most hardy of all dual purpose breeds, and they will thrive in almost any environment they could face in the United States. They have amenable dispositions and are a favorite among 4-H clubs and state fair competitions around the country. Their active disposition, hardy nature, and superb foraging ability helps them thrive in a free range environment as well.

Though the breed has become smaller over the last 60 years, they females still weigh over 6 pounds while the males over 8 pounds. The Rhode Island Red Hens are excellent winter egg layers due to their heavier size and hardiness, and they will generally lay between 200-300 per year - perhaps the best dual purpose egg layer in production today. The hens can become broody, though not as frequently as some other breeds like the Buff Orpington. Roosters can become aggressive, and it is generally best not to have more than one rooster for every 8 - 10 hens.

New Hampshire Red Chickens

Derived from the Rhode Island Red Chicken in the early 20th Century, the New Hampshire Red is a popular dual purpose chicken that will generally lay up to 250 eggs per year. Some attractive qualities of this heavy medium sized bird is its rapid growth, fast feathering, and early maturity make this red a quality and desirable meat bird on top of it's reliable egg laying abilities.

Developed in New England, the New Hampshire Red was made an official breed, distinct from its close relative, in 1935. Like the Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire Red Hens lay large brown eggs that are excellent for human consumption.

New Hampshire Reds grow broody and make great mothers. This breed is also quite hardy during the winter time. They can be competitive and aggressive, but they handle confinement quite well.

I have both. One is lighter thats it. Mine are the same size etc etc. They all lay the same.If I sent you a pic 9-10 people could not tell me which one was what!!!

"production reds which is a cross between a RIR and a delaware" NO!! cross between a RIR and a delaware are red sex links.

Red Sex Link Chickens can be developed using various red chicken breeds for the hen, but are always crossed with a Rhode Island Red Rooster or a New Hampshire Red Rooster. These particular Red Sex Links are a cross breed utilizing the Delaware Hen and the Rhode Island Red Rooster. The result is a prolific egg laying and quality meat bird with superior production value of its respective parents' breeds.

Production Red Chickens

The Production Red Chicken Breed is a cross between the popular Rhode Island Red Chicken and the New Hampshire Red Chicken. They are bred to be a very capable and efficient egg production bird, yielding vast quantities of large brown eggs. They were developed later than the Rhode Island Red Chicken to be less of a meaty bird.

They are smaller in size than Rhode Island Reds, and have more brittle, lighter feathers. The color of the Production Red Chicken is similar to the Rhode Island Red, but they are noticeably lighter in color.

The demeanor of the birds is for the most part calm and docile. Although the Production Red Rooster can become a bit aggressive, especially in larger flocks. They are quite adaptable to a wide range of climates, and even make good winter laying birds. If you are looking for wonderful free-range egg production, the Production Red Chicken is a great option.

Rhode Island Red Chickens

The Rhode Island Red Chicken Breed boasts the title of America's most well known and popular chicken, though for many years the chicken breed was facing a critical decline in its breeding population. Thanks to many hobby hatcheries and backyard farmers the Rhode Island Red is now popular chickens among small farms and backyards today. Rhode Island Red Chicks grow to be one of the most productive and useful dual purpose breeds across the country and world today. They have prolific egg production, and they will dress nicely as a table bird.

The Rhode Island Red is also one of the most hardy of all dual purpose breeds, and they will thrive in almost any environment they could face in the United States. They have amenable dispositions and are a favorite among 4-H clubs and state fair competitions around the country. Their active disposition, hardy nature, and superb foraging ability helps them thrive in a free range environment as well.

Though the breed has become smaller over the last 60 years, they females still weigh over 6 pounds while the males over 8 pounds. The Rhode Island Red Hens are excellent winter egg layers due to their heavier size and hardiness, and they will generally lay between 200-300 per year - perhaps the best dual purpose egg layer in production today. The hens can become broody, though not as frequently as some other breeds like the Buff Orpington. Roosters can become aggressive, and it is generally best not to have more than one rooster for every 8 - 10 hens.

New Hampshire Red Chickens

Derived from the Rhode Island Red Chicken in the early 20th Century, the New Hampshire Red is a popular dual purpose chicken that will generally lay up to 250 eggs per year. Some attractive qualities of this heavy medium sized bird is its rapid growth, fast feathering, and early maturity make this red a quality and desirable meat bird on top of it's reliable egg laying abilities.

Developed in New England, the New Hampshire Red was made an official breed, distinct from its close relative, in 1935. Like the Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire Red Hens lay large brown eggs that are excellent for human consumption.

New Hampshire Reds grow broody and make great mothers. This breed is also quite hardy during the winter time. They can be competitive and aggressive, but they handle confinement quite well.

I have both. One is lighter thats it. Mine are the same size etc etc. They all lay the same.If I sent you a pic 9-10 people could not tell me which one was what!!!

Good Day NestingHills

I just want to clarify some differences of NH and RIR Hen

NH - get broody sometimes vs RIR - no or never? is this correct

NH - lighter in color vs RIR - darker in color? true right

NH - white feet vs RIR - yellow feet? is it always true or what?

NH - larger in body, body shape semi box type vs RIR - smaller body in box shape? is it correct

thanks for your confirmation sir

If you cross a Rhode Island Red rooster or New Hampshire Red rooster with a Delaware hen you get Red Star chick, which is a sex link bird. Meaning you can tell with the naked eye the sex at birth.

The hens will be light colored and the roosters will be noticeably darker to the naked eye.

If you cross a Rhode Island Red rooster or New Hampshire Red rooster with a Barred Rock hen you will get Black Star chicks, which are also sex link birds.

The roosters are distinguished at birth by a white spot on the head over a totally black body - -may have a little white on the tip of the wings at birth, too. The hens are totally black and sometimes have a little white on the tip of the wings.

Please note that you cannot reverse the sex and still get sex link birds. That is the RI or NH Reds must always be the rooster.

Red Stars and Black Stars are prolific layers of big brown eggs. They're also good meat chickens once they've served their egg use, which is usually three years.

Enjoy your chickens! They're great therapists and cheaper than a shrink!

I logged-in this morning to inquire of same question and am happy to have read some clear and concise responses. This site is GREAT!
95% of the time, a query in the search box will link me with tons of info and my questions are answered without having to post. The downside is, I rarely get to post at all.

@ BikerMichael on the therapy thing ~ so true! The incubator goes into lockdown mode today. It's helping tremendously with a bad case of cabin fever/enduring these onslaughts of single-digit temps. Woohoo!

I'm about to get three NH Red pullets to add to my three coming 3 year old RIR hens. this thread was timely... I was wondering if there is any difference -- maybe a different accent when they cluck?
wink.png

The problem is the hatchery birds have blurred the lines between RIR, NH, and many other breeds. They look COMPLETELY different and of you can't tell by a quick glance you probably have a hatchery bird of unknown origin. Nothing wrong with that, just not a RIR or a NH.

This is very true, Cpt. Morgan. The only way you are sure what you're getting is by hatching them yourself or obtaining inseminated eggs from someone who you know well enough.

I sell inseminated eggs in my area. My inseminated eggs are "laid to order". That is, you tell me the breed you want and I will provide you the inseminated eggs for that breed. Presently I have the capability for Red and Black Stars (sex links), Golden Comets (sex links), and Rhode Island Reds. Needless to say, my prices are way below any hatchery. I will not mention the price because this forum is not intended for advertising purposes, thus, not my intentions to circumvent the system.

I recommend you visit with someone in your area who has the same capability as I do and is willing to show you his/her stock. That way you'll know exactly what you're getting.

Enjoy your chickens!
They're great therapists and much cheaper than a shrink.

Back
Top Bottom