Rhode Island Red with a very swollen butt, loss in appetite, and pale floppy comb.

I don't have a scale that works very well. Is there anything that I can do about the poop?

My hen beebees has a bald red butt. The other hens have been picking at it. Few tail feathers left. I noticed it when I gave her a bath. Otherwise covered in feathers. Very concerned because the area seems swollen. Anybody's help would be much appreciated ASAP

My hen beebees has a bald red butt. The other hens have been picking at it. Few tail feathers left. I noticed it when I gave her a bath. Otherwise covered in feathers. Very concerned because the area seems swollen. Anybody's help would be much appreciated ASAP
Here is where to start your own new thread for advice so that we don’t get confused with the OP:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/
Just click on “post new thread in the center of the page.”

We give her plenty of food and water at free access... could she be eating so little because of the reproductive Disease?

We give her plenty of food and water at free access... could she be eating so little because of the reproductive Disease?

That is quite likely. :(

If you haven't separated her yet....please do so.
It will allow you to see how much it any she is eating.

I would try her with a wet mash. It is regular feed mixed with water to make an oatmeal consistency mush.
Boiled eggs chopped up as well as canned fish or canned cat food can give her a boost.

Last edited:
Loss of appetite can occur when an infection is sapping a body of energy. How do you feel when the flu virus attacks you?

Weight loss and poor appetite are symptoms of many different issues, both organic as well as psychological. When assessed alongside other symptoms and individual history, it's possible to arrive at a diagnosis.

The loss of appetite in itself won't tell us much, though.

If you want to get a weight on your chickens, an inexpensive kitchen scale from Walmart is around $15. I have a Mainstays brand that works very well, found in the kitchen gadgets aisle, and it works great for measuring ground meat and other foods. When I have a chicken not eating, I offer part of a scrambled egg, a little wet chicken feed, a bit of tuna, or Friskies canned cat food. More water added to the food will get more fluids into them. If they won’t eat, some can learn to tube feed, but I let them decide if they want to eat or not. Tube feeding is easy to learn if you are interested. Usually they stop eating for a reason. Check her crop to see if it is empty and flat, or if there is food in it, firm or puffy.

So here's the thing, me and my family are on vacation for a week and my friend is taking care of my chickens. Does this disease seem urgent enough for her to do these things herself?
( is there a possibility that she could pass away because of this in a week? )

Back
Top Bottom