Rhode Island Red x Silver Laced Wyandotte

According to the chicken calculator, the parent stock could indeed make this hen. That cross (RIR over SLW) is indeed a sex link cross, pullets red and cockerels silver. Calculator says the lacing would be incomplete, and I agree this girl's does look pretty good, but it's apparently possible.

You'll just have to take the seller's word on the rest of it, especially if the parent stock are hatchery birds. If they'd been SOP birds, you'd be able to see the mixed body type easily, but hatchery birds all look so close it's impossible to identify a cross like this from body shape alone. Comb is no help, as rose comb is expected to be dominant over straight, and both parent breeds have yellow legs so that's also no help.

As far as lacing, I had this cockerel who was a bsl rooster over a GLW hen, he had pretty decent lacing for a juvenile (I never got an older picture of him), and for a cockerel at that...

According to the chicken calculator, the parent stock could indeed make this hen. That cross (RIR over SLW) is indeed a sex link cross, pullets red and cockerels silver. Calculator says the lacing would be incomplete, and I agree this girl's does look pretty good, but it's apparently possible.

I just text him so we'll see what he says. I swear he said it was a RIR x SLW. But who knows.i think he is going to get on here and look. @youcluckingatme

She does look like a cross, the gold on the lacing is very thin, that is a sign of incomplete lacing.
Very good looking bird though.

Rhode Island Red crossed with silver laced Wyandotte.

To get this breed from that cross is impossible. That young chicken would be a red sex link if it was crossed by these to breeds. To get a bird looking like that u wood haf to cross a barred hen with a non barred roo . Although its still a lovely bird
thumbsup.gif
are you sure it was not SLW hen RIR roo.

Last edited:
hi--its spring--is everyone still alive!! lol ny had an awful winter.
anyway- what did the seller say?
my op is that is was a slw ROO over a rir Hen.
a backwards attempt at sex-links. it only works with red roo / barred hen
tam

It's a sex link of a rr roo/ a silver wyandotte. I know because I have both rr/bard rocks, thier coal black and males have at least white spot going down back of head. And the rr/silver Wyandotte is just like those pictured. The males weren't black. The were more silver and black.

Back
Top Bottom