Rhode Island Red?

Spicy

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 9, 2013
This is the abandoned chicken I've been feeding, that's been living in the woods next to me. I'm thinking she's a rhode island red and female. Sorry not the best pic.

I agree. She looks just like my production RIR hen from that angle. Mine are molting some, not that much yet. Her feathers may be more messed up from living in the wild?

Be cautious of disease. Quarantine her at least.

Last edited:
She will be. Once I get the coop up. She'll have a run and a coop and won't be able to get out. I can't free range due to the laws in my township and the new state laws. But I'm tired of getting old eggs and not knowing what exactly their feeding the chickens. Thanks for letting me know what you think her breed is.

I'm not sure if she's a red sex link, or that's just white underfluff from feathers on poor condition. If she really has white feathers on her tips and tail, she's a red sex link. If she's all red, she's a production red.

I'm not sure if she's a red sex link, or that's just white underfluff from feathers on poor condition. If she really has white feathers on her tips and tail, she's a red sex link. If she's all red, she's a production red.

Yea, if it appears the white exists only as fluff where the feathers are thin/gone then it is probably a RIR, but if those are actually white feathers, then it must be a Red sex link. I thought it looks like mine molting, but it's not a good photo.

Last edited:
If the fethers under Neth are white then that is a very pore quality rir my hatchery rir s just go from a mahogany color to a lighter brown

Back
Top Bottom