Rhode Island Reds are picking on Bantam

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JadeH, Nov 10, 2014.

1. JadeH

JadeH New Egg

Oct 16, 2014
    Hello,
    Just wondering if anyone can help me.

I originally had 2 Rhode Island Reds and 1 Australorp. Recently I adopted my neighbour's Bantam. There was a bit of pecking going on but they gradually seemed to sort it out. The bantam seems to want to hang around with the flock even though she gets picked on.

The Bantam used to sleep in the coop with the other 3 but since the RIRs were getting a bit bossy in the mornings, I began putting the bantam in another small coop right next to them so they can see each other in the morning but not hurt her before I let them out to free range.

I've just noticed over the last few days that the RIRs are constantly pecking and charging at the bantam. They're not causing visual injury thank goodness but I feel sorry for the little bantam constantly getting picked on and chased away from food/water bowls. The RIRs seem to be seeking her out all the time, or at least while I'm out there.

I have various water and food bowls around and they free range all day. It's coming into summer here in Australia at the moment.

I was warned against getting another Bantam as it might only disrupt the social order even further. I hope they might just get over it soon.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do or knowledge on why the RIRs are suddenly becoming more pecky?

I'm not sure if I should be putting them all in the coop together at night to force them to sort it out?

Thank you for any help.

2. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    She's a new bird.All your RIR's are doing is letting the Bantam understand who rules the roost.The bantams is being sorted in the Pecking order is basically what i'm trying to say.If she isn't fighting back,she probably is at the end at the peck order,therefore,even your sweet hens will go for her.
    I have delt with RIR's.Princess and her sister,(Not so much princesses).Come to learn the breed isn't enetirely mean,but they can be bossy.Mines were very aggressive.
    They'd sometimes bully each other.but had enough since to stop.Your best choice is let them do their own thing.I still have nothing against the breed,even looking at your situation.
    My hens do this EVERYTIME I get new birds.
    -THePRfan

3. JadeH

JadeH New Egg

Oct 16, 2014
    Thank you for your advice. They've calmed down quite a bit now which is great. I can see that the RIRs are a bit more bossy and noisy than the Australorp. Have noticed them pick on each other when there's food around too. But at least the Bantam is a bold little lady and doesn't shy away! [​IMG] Thanks for your help.

4. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Your welcome!:welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by